You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi,

there seems to be no "one click" way to resize/scale a layer or vector object to the current canvas size.

I would love to see this as an option when adding a layer/asset or as a button on the transform tool context bar, because I often have to manually resize assets or new layers when dragging/dropping objects to a document.

Seems it would take just little effort to implement this and would incredibly reduce the amount of manual adjustments. What do you think?

This feature was already suggested some times as in the threads listed below but it seems there is no easy way to achieve the desired result:

10 hours ago, digit42 said:

What do you think?

Resize object to the canvas size I probably never used. And if I ever need it, it has so many variants *) that I would rather do it manually.

*) Resize to canvas with or without Margin? Resize with or without Aspect ratio? If with Aspect ratio, centered position, or left/top?

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

11 hours ago, Pšenda said:

*) Resize to canvas with or without Margin? Resize with or without Aspect ratio? If with Aspect ratio, centered position, or left/top?

You are right: it depends on the use case. For me it would be OK to have just a simple centered fit to canvas without margin.

That being said, an option to define of a margin (input field), a checkbox for keeping aspect ratio or not and a selector for position (top left, top right, center, bottom left, bottom right) would be useful, too.

My primary use case is the insertion of a custom vignette that I have saved as an asset. I drag that from the assets panel to the document and wish I could make it cover the whole canvas because the size of the asset almost never fits the image. I know there are easier ways to add a vignette to an image but I find the vignette filter just does not look that good an lacks flexibility (i.e. you can't move the area of interest, it's always in the center of the image). My custom vignette asset is a variant of what @dmstraker described in his excellent compilation of 20 ways to create a vignette with Affinity Photo: