You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[535] IDML Open, Missing Resources relink hangs

With new beta, tried opening a previous IDML. Once again, it said that resources were missing (they were in in the Links folder in the same place as when the IDML was created). When I relinked the first "missing" resource, it then asked for another from that same folder (shouldn't it be able to find all of the supposedly "missing" resources if they are all in that same folder?), I selected the 2nd one and it froze the modal dialog requiring a Quit to get rid of the dialog.

This is one of the previously uploaded IDML set of files: "Aero LAS A4..."

Screen Shot 2020-01-22 at 8.26.04 AM.png

--------------------

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2020 i7 72GB) • AMD Radeon Pro 5700 XT 16 GB • macOS Sonoma
MacBook Pro, 13", M1 2020 • 16 GB • macOS Sonoma
iPad Air 2022

• Staff

Once again, it said that resources were missing (they were in in the Links folder in the same place as when the IDML was created)

These are missing, they are linked to the old location and not to the new location (the Links folder). If you open the IDML in InDesign they are reported as missing and linked to a Mac drive.

(shouldn't it be able to find all of the supposedly "missing" resources if they are all in that same folder?)

It should indeed (if you click Yes when opening the file), this doesn't seem to be working even if I re-save the file as an afpub so I've logged this to be looked into!

I selected the 2nd one and it froze the modal dialog requiring a Quit to get rid of the dialog.

Do you get this every single time? Me and a colleague haven't been able to reproduce this

Serif Europe Ltd. - www.serif.com

• Staff

Regarding the missing images and it not auto locating, it's because these images don't have any file extension saved in the path (all the others do). Oddly enough it's these images that are missing in InDesign and our app too.

Any idea if something special was done relating to these images?

Serif Europe Ltd. - www.serif.com

Just a thought: could they be images from before OS X when Mac files did not use extensions? I still have old images that have no extensions at all (not even hidden extensions), and they are still supported even as late as Mojave, the latest system I am running.

I just redid the ID doc linking to all resources, having made sure all resources had filetype extensions. This time when opening in beta 535, no problems. All resources were found.

With this opening in 535, it also cured the issue of several of the resources coming in inside a Picture Frame, but with no controls. This time only one graphic item didn't have any controls, which is a huge improvement. The remaining "mystery" graphic is the "Aero logo-3D-no shad-tiny.eps". Not sure why that is the only one that didn't have any controls.

On 1/23/2020 at 6:44 AM, garrettm30 said:

Just a thought: could they be images from before OS X when Mac files did not use extensions? I still have old images that have no extensions at all (not even hidden extensions), and they are still supported even as late as Mojave, the latest system I am running.

Yes, some of the linked graphics were old and possibly pre OSX. Good test of IDML importing on these old/legacy ID files to see where the issues are in retrieving legacy files like this. A few of our clients' documents were originally created in PageMaker and "refreshed", imported or recreated in ID. And soon they will be "recreated"/refreshed in APub!

--------------------

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2020 i7 72GB) • AMD Radeon Pro 5700 XT 16 GB • macOS Sonoma
MacBook Pro, 13", M1 2020 • 16 GB • macOS Sonoma
iPad Air 2022

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.