You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Issues with accents in .afpub and in exported PDF

Radim N

Hello,

I'm having trouble with how accents are being displayed in Publisher when I'm actually working on a publication and also in a file that I exported (PDF). First I used Archivo which was fine until I created bulletpoint list and did a little resizing and moving and stuff. Then it all went bad. So I tried Arial which was displayed fine in .afpub file, but then I exported it to PDF and it was a distaster. I have no idea what might be wrong. I tried close the Publisher app and reopen it, create a new .afpub file and start from scratch but with no luck.

There is a workaround - convert every text frame to curves. Then it seems to be fine but it's not a solution.

I'm attaching both .afpub and PDF files. Let me know if you need more information.

Thank you for your help!

Radim

Zmen_sve_oblibene_misto.afpub

Zmen_sve_oblibene_misto.pdf

No problem here when exported to PDF/X-4 with the latest beta, all accented letters are fine.

-- Window 11 - 32 gb - Intel I7 - 8700 - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060
-- iPad Pro 2020 - 12,9 - 256 gb - Apple Pencil 2 -- iPad 9th gen 256 gb - Apple Pencil 1
-- Macbook Air 15"

25 minutes ago, Radim N said:

Can you provide the PDF please?

I can, but as there are some fonts and images that I don't have, there could be some issues. Why don't you install the latest beta and try it with your document.

-- iPad Pro 2020 - 12,9 - 256 gb - Apple Pencil 2 -- iPad 9th gen 256 gb - Apple Pencil 1
-- Macbook Air 15"

8 minutes ago, Pauls said:

If you use the sub-set fonts option in the PDF export options this can cause problems. Also having duplicate fonts with the same name has been known to cause some issues

I tried to uncheck the sub-set font option but it didn't help. I don't know what you mean by having duplicate fonts with the same name?

You're on Mac, I'm on PC, maybe that makes a difference...

-- Macbook Air 15"

Just made so other tests with regular and beta version of Publisher on Windows. Didn't have any problem exporting it to any pdf format . I took the text from the link you posted. I copied the text, pasted it in plain "Notepad", re-copied it and pasted it in Publisher. Success every time. Maybe some of the fonts you used, or the Mac version is different... I let the pros come out with the right answer.

-- Macbook Air 15"

On 1/22/2020 at 5:23 AM, Radim N said:

First I used Archivo 

Archivo has some errors and inconsistencies in the name fields inside the fonts.
This can cause font cache corruption and errors in the output - usually a complete character soup.
If you must use them I can send you fixed versions.

The accents issue we have seen before in another thread.
For some reason the normally combined glyphs are actually separate characters.
Even though it looks like one character in APub, if you use your right arrow to move over the characters you will see it count 2.
It appears to be happening when your source is pasted into APub.

On your page 2, in the first paragraph where it looks OK, I highlighted some text (in the PDF).
In the image below you can see the characters with the combined accents.
If you use your right arrow in APub it will take 5 times to move over this text (as it should).

page-2-paragraph-1-combined-characters.thumb.png.56e6cd667efeee7dd675a1b6958f4f40.png

On page 4 of the PDF, where there is some text which displays the problem,
you can see in the image the accents are actually separate characters.
Again, you use your right arrow in APub to move over these characters you will see 2 presses for that first c, and for the y.
Those are separate characters already in APub.

page-4-paragraph-1-separate-glyphs.png.8d821b43e2683b5d7a052f07f97b476b.png

I do not know if it is caused by bad text from your source, or if the error happens in APub when it is pasted.
But somehow these composite characters are getting broken down into the component glyphs.
And this is happening in the APub document before the output to PDF.
Is APub just not seeing these composite characters correctly, or has the source broken the font connection first?
Perhaps someone from Affinity can investigate (or already has).

On 1/23/2020 at 2:41 AM, Radim N said:

@LibreTraining That is quite the analysis! Though I'm not an advanced typograph I appreciate it! If you could send me the corrected Archivo font, I would be very glad. Thank you.

@Radim N

Here is a link to an RAR file with the fixed Archivo fonts.
I renamed them to Archivo LO to avoid any confusion with the originals.
The SemiBold regular font was incorrectly in the Medium style group.
This caused the LibreOffice (LO) Export to PDF function to only show Italics whenever the SemiBold font was used.
I do not know if this caused any issues in APub, but the potential is there whenever there are naming errors in a font.

https://dropmeafile.com/#fde7b3e608

Let me know if you have any issues.
Note: the Archivo Black and the Archivo Narrow are separate families and are OK.
(other than the Black weight is set to 400 ... odd, but probably not going to break anything)