You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Foreign language symbols replace English!

I created FlowCharts using Artboards with Affinity Designer, very easy and successful.

The text was in English, I saved copies in AF format and as PDF. The PDFs were printed and all the text was, as expected, in perfect English.

I have just reopened the file in Affinity Designer to incorporate suggested amendments, and notice that some letters in some words have been replaced with symbols that I don't recognise. The attachment shows the 'new' version of what I typed - and I checked the previously printed copies which confirmed that this change has only occurred on re-opening the file today.

The text was entered as:

Limited information to branches, e.g. advertising meetings b....

Foreign membership number queries...

I checked the language in preferences and it was set to English (United States), I have just reset that to English (United Kingdom and (not surprisingly) the foreign symbols are still in the text. This means I have to check the spelling in 14 artboards/flowcharts, thankfully the red underlining will help.

Any ideas why this happened, please?

Hilary

416764214_ForeignLanguageAlphabet.JPG.18216cfc626e13c7f3bba193076f0a81.JPG

MacBook Pro 11,2,  Intel i7 4 core, 8Gb RAM, Graphics Intel Iris Pro.

iPad Pro 11.4,  256Gb, 10.5 Retina, A10X Fusion chip, Apple pencil

Desktop upgraded to Win10 64-bit, Intel i5 quad core, 8Gb RAM, NVIDIA GefORCE GT730

The Win-10 laptop is on permanent loan to my daughter......

My Flickr Album

A closer look suggests that most of these 'translations' involve limited combinations of letters such as 'ting' in existing and printing; 'tion' as in option, and 'till' as in still.

Must get the job done, though, deadline looms.

Hilary

Desktop upgraded to Win10 64-bit, Intel i5 quad core, 8Gb RAM, NVIDIA GefORCE GT730

My Flickr Album

• Staff

Hi Hilary :)

Sorry to see you're having trouble!

Could you please confirm the following for me:

18 minutes ago, Sunset said:

I have just reopened the file in Affinity Designer to incorporate suggested amendments, and notice that some letters in some words have been replaced with symbols that I don't recognise.

• When reopening the file, did you open the .afdesign file, or import the PDF as a new document?
  • What font was used in the document?
  • Have you recently changed, added or removed any fonts on your system?

Could you also please provide a copy of the .afdesign document, alongside your exported PDF to the following link for me?

https://www.dropbox.com/request/rGMoL8H8L4sSrZulNWLg

Thanks in advance!

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

20 minutes ago, Dan C said:

Hi Hilary :)

Sorry to see you're having trouble!

Could you please confirm the following for me:

• When reopening the file, did you open the .afdesign file, or import the PDF as a new document?
  • What font was used in the document?
  • Have you recently changed, added or removed any fonts on your system?

Could you also please provide a copy of the .afdesign document, alongside your exported PDF to the following link for me?

https://www.dropbox.com/request/rGMoL8H8L4sSrZulNWLg

Thanks in advance!

Thanks,

I confirm that I opened the .afdesign file, the PDF file was only for sending by email to others,

Font - interesting, all the 'changes' were in one text box only, and I can't tell whether that is relevant or not, but the font used was calibri regular 10.

No changes have been made to the fonts on my system in the relevant period.

The document is of a slightly sensitive corporate nature, but I trust the staff at Affinity to recognise that.

I'll send the file as requested.

Note - I had already correct some errors on chart 4, starting with 'newsletter' at the bottom of the page and working upwards).

My Flickr Album

• Staff

Thanks for the info Hilary :)

I'm almost certain that you may have imported the exported PDF back into Designer without realising it - as I've downloaded your PDF and opened it directly in Designer and it shows exactly the same issue you've reported on this text only.

This is a known issue with Calibri ligatures when importing PDFs, so I'll bump this with our developers now.

I've checked with our QA team and we personally cannot see a 'way' in which Affinity would have changed these ligatures between opening/saving/closing the file, and we heavily suspect this has happened when opening the PDF - likely accidentally.

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

2 minutes ago, Dan C said:

Thanks for the info Hilary :)

I'm almost certain that you may have imported the exported PDF back into Designer without realising it - as I've downloaded your PDF and opened it directly in Designer and it shows exactly the same issue you've reported on this text only.

This is a known issue with Calibri ligatures when importing PDFs, so I'll bump this with our developers now.

I've checked with our QA team and we personally cannot see a 'way' in which Affinity would have changed these ligatures between opening/saving/closing the file, and we heavily suspect this has happened when opening the PDF - likely accidentally.

Anything is possible, I was working to a tight deadline, I hadn't done a flowchart since college in 1973 so I created my own symbols, it is possible I also flitted between my desktop Windows and my Macbook - all of which I love being able to do with Affinity. And, although I'm 'absolutely certain' that I opened the afdesigner file from the 'Open Recent' menu today - perhaps I didn't!

Thanks for checking and forwarding it to the developers. I've fixed what I needed to do, job is done ahead of schedule, I'm happy.

Hilary

My Flickr Album

If I remember correctly, then Subsetting the Font has to be unchecked. You'll find this after hitting the More button in the export dialogue.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

7 minutes ago, Lagarto said:

The ligatures do get exported (as can be seen from the PDF attached in my post above), but this may also be dependent on the rendering app. E.g., I think that Chrome PDF viewer could not show ligatures encoded in PDF in the way Affinity apps do it, unless the font is included completely (without sub sets). But this is just a workaround for a problem that is basically caused by not doing it right in the first place.

I think the issue is with Affinity recognizing the ligatures when it reads the PDF if the PDF was exported originally with the fonts subsetted.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1