You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Publisher beta crashing

• Staff

Hi CrazyPixel :)

I have split your post from the thread linked below -

This needs to be investigated by our QA team in the beta section of our forums, so they should reply here shortly, many thanks!

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

• Staff

The file likely has some corrupt objects in it due to a bug you've encountered that is in 1.7.3.

We believe this bug is fixed in the beta but if the file has these objects in it the beta won't prevent the crashes from happening unfortunately. If this file was created from scratch in the beta please let me know.

If you upload your file here I'll see what we can do to fix it for you.

Thanks

Serif Europe Ltd. - www.serif.com

Thanks for your quick help Jon!

Can you name the corrupt files, or can I locate them with the crash report by myself? How can I avoid this in the future?

I often use copy/paste from other programs (affinity photo and designer).

Would it be better to first save the elements and then place them in publisher? Would be another step and this kills the workflow ...

I already rebuilt my file (it wasn´t too big yet), thanks for the option to fix it!

Thanks,

Charlie

12 minutes ago, Jon P said:

if the file has these objects in it, the beta won't prevent the crashes from happening unfortunately.

What does this mean in the end? If there is a document made in 1.7.3x that has a bug inside having its origin from a faulty function of 1.7.3x we will never get it opened? And we have to do the document from scratch?

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

• Staff

It depends on what's happened to the file. There's a couple of different issues, but yes if an object has been corrupted due to an issue in 1.7.3 then 1.8 won't remove this corruption, although we should hopefully avoid some crashes, we will still need to fix the file ourselves (and we do this and get them back to customers when we can)

The fix in 1.8 should prevent files getting into this state, so any new files created in 1.8 shouldn't encounter this issue and I would like to know if a file created from scratch does, because it means there's another way to get a file into this state that we aren't aware of.

If it crashes on save like the OP,  or copying and pasting certain objects (which will be the offending objects if they crash on copy/paste) just removing the page with the corrupt object in can rectify it, but it could have multiple objects with the issue, and so forth.

How can I avoid this in the future?

Using the beta is the best way, as it depends on your workflow as to what happened - but linked text frames and pinned objects on master pages was one of the areas that could cause corruptions to happen to some objects which then lead to the crash on save

I often use copy/paste from other programs (affinity photo and designer).

This should be fine and as far as i'm aware it shouldn't be possible to encounter it, however we do have StudioLink to try tighten up the workflow and prevent you from constantly switching between the applications. Personally I think it's better to have local versions of resources in your file if possible.

Edit: I've just glanced at the crash report and it is a corrupt pinned object that's causing it, which is what we have seen before and fixed in 1.8.

Serif Europe Ltd. - www.serif.com

Hi again!

One more:

With the beta 1.8.0 installed the linked personas photo and designer do not open.

A window opens and notices me to use the beta of the related programs.

How can I tell the Publisher beta 1.8.0 where to find its buddies? 

Thanks!

link.jpg

Edited by CrazyPixel

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.