You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi.. I've tried to find help within Designer helpfile. Can someone explain, "precise clipping" 

Is it like in eg. C4D, when you are zoomed in closely, that the lines are rendered clean in the viewport.

I haven't checked it, cause I haven't experienced any viewing problems so far.

Peace

• Staff

Hi Paekke,

It's a setting I added because something was annoying me... In a lot of vector editors (try this in Illustrator, for example), if you make a red circle then draw a yellow circle inside it (i.e. the red circle clips the yellow circle) you'll get a little bit of red showing through on the antialiased edge of the yellow in the areas where it is clipped by the red circle. The option to enable 'precise clipping' was added so that we would not produce this visible artefact, but it is slightly slower to composite than the traditional method, so is disabled by default but available if you ever want it. At export we always go through the 'precise clipping' code path so that the results are always as good as we can manage, irrespective of what the view drawing setting is.

In normal use, it's not something you'd normally notice - unless you knew to look out for it - but take a look at this (admittedly rather extreme) example to see the difference:

post-5-0-73712200-1436869365_thumb.png vs post-5-0-76278000-1436869380_thumb.png

Thanks,

Matt

• 5 years later...
On 7/14/2015 at 11:24 AM, MattP said:

In normal use, it's not something you'd normally notice - unless you knew to look out for it - but take a look at this (admittedly rather extreme) example to see the difference:

EDIT - Sorry, please ignore. I was dragging the one layer under the other in the wrong way!

Just came across this setting today and also wondered what it was for so thank you for the screenshot explanation. Just wondering though how exactly you got the yellow circle 'clipped' inside the red one like that?

Is that Designer that you have created it in as I'm not sure how you'd get two shapes to do that in Photo?

Thanks,

Mark