You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Ok so since AD has come along I have always heard that this must have art boards in order to be competitive. My question is how do designers survive before art boards? What are the advantages of using. Maybe I'm not using them to the full extent. Just curious.

I think it is entirely possible to exist without artboards - indeed many great works were made before they were introduced but... a lot of people will be used to how Illustrator functions and looking how easy it is to port a workflow over to a different programme.

Some functions of artboards can be replicated by seperate files and swopping between them, in a way artboards keep those seperate files within one file.

Ideally one might be able to take a master version of a logo, for instance, on artboard one and place it into artboard two three etc at different sizes or uses and any edits to the master cascade across the other artboards.

Other people will have other reasons for the need of artboards, but we need em!

It would be nice to have an artboard feature in Affinity Desinger. I think hope the people at Serif don't make the same mistake Adobe did with Photoshop. Letting Photoshop lose its own indentity, if you ask anybody what profession should use Photoshop nobody could give you a clear awsner. Adobe is totally lost with Photoshop, I don't say it's a bad app but feature wise they have no idea what to add and for whom.

Lots of web designers and ui designers have used Photoshop for so many years but you see them more and more switch to Sketch. I think Sketch rocks at ui design there isn't any better app just because it fits so well for the job. Adding artboards in an app like Photoshop or Afffinity Photo would be useless in my opinion..

Adding them into Affinity Designer it could work pretty well.

Hardware
 Mac mini (late-2014), 2.6GHz, 16GB RAM, Intel Iris 5100 Graphics  iPad Air 16GB White

Software I love, and you should get :wink:
Affinity Desinger - Affinity Photo - Sketch - Coda - CodeKit - iA Writer - Dropbox - 1Password

I don't need artboards but O Do need pages — I do mostly print design and not being able to put front and back of a folder or business card in one dile is very fidgety since customers and printers expect everything in a single PDf file. This needs extra work (= extra time = extra money) when noodling arkund with layers and single-page files.

I confess..I am truly ignorant about this, but in order to follow this issue, that all the way, I have seen questioned in some other threads I need to know, What are really artboards? Can anyone give me a sample of it? Just if you have a bit of more time to spare.

Greetings and thanks a lot.

Rosa

I confess..I am truly ignorant about this, but in order to follow this issue, that all the way, I have seen questioned in some other threads I need to know, What are really artboards? Can anyone give me a sample of it? Just if you have a bit of more time to spare.

Greetings and thanks a lot.

Rosa

Easy. Right now you have one white working space acting as one page. Artboards means you have more of those :)

UI Designer, CG Artist

Macbook Pro 15" 2014

2.5 Ghz, 750M

https://www.behance.net/VladMafteiuScai

This is a perfect example of how artboards can really work well in Illustrator or an app like Affinity Designer. Affinity Photo I wouldn't like it at all.

KjJC8dd.png

http://drbl.in/pnNY

Hardware
 Mac mini (late-2014), 2.6GHz, 16GB RAM, Intel Iris 5100 Graphics  iPad Air 16GB White

Software I love, and you should get :wink:
Affinity Desinger - Affinity Photo - Sketch - Coda - CodeKit - iA Writer - Dropbox - 1Password

I use Artboards (within Document Setup) in Illustrator all the time.  I am now trying to transition to Affinity Designer 1.3.2 and the lack of that feature is troubling.  I cannot open many of my *.ai documents (not all the pages at once).  Some of my *.ai files have 27 artboards.  (Yes, you can use Illustrator like InDesign, and sometimes it is preferable to do that due to the tools available in Illustrator which aren't in InDesign.)

I long for Artboards in AD.

I totally understand the art board debate, thing to remember is that not everyone is in paper publishing. As a web developer, I find I use art boards a lot while doing UI mockups and wire framing. I like to view the art boards side by side vs. in layers so I can quickly see the exportable sprite objects that I will save out to animate with css or scripting later. I work at an agency that also owns the 6th largest large format digital printing company in the US (with a mixed bag of designers and developers).. and I do notice that the publishing type designers don't really uses art boards as they live in a indesign world and only use vector design for logos and single placed elements, but the sign/vinyl designers and the web developers use them all the time. The sign guys will layout 100 different - 3" x 12"  signs or something that all look the same but might have a text change on all of them and keep master file and then export them all to flexi sign or onyx for large format printing.. and the web developers can design a lot of UI or sprite items and export them as pngs or svg files and keep them all in one mock up file. I think there is a valid reason to use art boards. I'd be willing to submit a bunch of our large format set up files and web design files as case studies for the affinity team to look at.

Anyone who intends to create a multi-page PDF stands to benefit from Artboards.  I use Illustrator for that purpose.  I often create PDFs with up to as many as 27 pages, and Illustrator handles that data just fine, with no slow-downs that I can detect.  The only thing that Illustrator still cannot do is create a multi-page (multi-artboard) new Illustrator document when I try to open an existing multi-page PDF.  It's strange that such a mature app still cannot do that, so perhaps that is yet another way Affinity Designer could one-up Illustrator, especially since you have to save your *.ai files with PDF content anyway to even open them in AD.