You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Desktop Navigating Text in block - Option → or ← and more

Create a text block and put some words in. While still editing that, the Mac defines option-arrows to move the insertion point by words and by extension option-shift-arrows. (Windows ctrl-arrows). It appears you remapped control to command which is incorrect. Command-arrows means move to the end of the line. Option-↑↓ is beginning/end of paragraph respectively though I can't see a lot of use here. I can't fix this using the keyboard control panel and find it extremely aggravating. If I'm at work, my brain thinks Windows. I can't handle 30 years using a Mac and it not working like a Mac.

Mildly annoying but not aggravating and it can be fixed using the Keyboard Syspref (or the very Windows one you could have omitted) but is only cosmetic and not worth the effort. Apple decided to show each modifier key to hold so it doesn't show ⌘> for Bigger  but shows ⇧⌘. Related... we're used to icons for Portrait/Landscape which required too much thinking to find. Maybe Adobe got "clever" there too (not going to pull up PS Elements to check).

There are standardized keys beyond ZXCV such as all Apple apps. Check out the apps that come with a Mac and you'll see a slew for text. (Harkening back to keypads, it doesn't show ⇧⌘= but ⌘+ or at least it does on keyboards with one like mine.) I can understand following Adobe shortcuts and again, can change them so it's not as big of a deal.

1 hour ago, fde101 said:

A bit lost here, if you are looking for the option to switch to using the standard Mac keyboard shortcuts for navigation and the like it is in the preferences of the Affinity applications, under the Keyboard Shortcuts area.

That's only in the 1.8 beta, isn't it?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

13 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

That's only in the 1.8 beta, isn't it?

I have 1.7.3 trial. It's very confusing. It's not Apple nor Adobe. The menu shortcuts are minor as we can change them but navigation and selection should match the OS and it's not something we can change.

I'm looking for option → to move the text insertion point one word right, etc. I can't change that; it has to be baked in. I hope 1.8 has that fixed

8 hours ago, Pecos Bill said:

I hope 1.8 has that fixed

You can download the 1.8 beta, install it alongside your 1.7.3 version, and try it yourself to see if they've gotten it fixed appropriately.

Just be sure to only use it for testing, and only work on copies of your 1.7 documents, not the real documents as you won't be able to open an Affinity document in 1.7 if it was modified and saved in 1.8.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

1 hour ago, fde101 said:

Will the trial version unlock the beta?

Thinking probably not, though would be fine with being wrong...

No, you would need to have the purchased retail version installed.

-- Walt
PC:

Just now, fde101 said:

That's what I thought.  @Pecos Bill indicated he is running the trial.

Yeah, I missed that. Sorry, @Pecos Bill.

-- Walt
PC: