You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Develop extension - raw editing

As   @AndyA pointed out in this thread, the Affinity Develop extension for Apple Photos fails to save back to Photos when editing raw files (seems to work fine for .jpgs). 

It also looks like the Shadows slider has no effect when using this extension, at least when I try to edit Panasonic .rw2 files (I know I can't save them, but I thought I'd give it a try).

The slider works fine if I edit a .jpg.

Cheers,

H

Affinity Photo 2.0.3,  Affinity Designer 2.0.3, Affinity Publisher 2.0.3, Mac OSX 13, 2018 MacBook Pro 15" Intel.

Hi @Chris B

The original is attached. 

As far as I can tell, this only.affects Panasonic .rw2 files taken with a previous camera (a Panasonic GX7). When I open them using the Affinity Develop extension, the content is initially so dark that it's almost invisible. I have to boost exposure and then reduce saturation to get an acceptable image. At this point, the Shadows slider has no visible effect on the image.

This video shows what happens before I get to the stage shown in my original video :

It may be that the extreme adjustments I'm having to make in the first place are knocking back the shadows so much that the slider doesn't affect them.

I see the same thing (a very dark image that needs heavy adjustment) if I use the Edit in Affinity Photo extension to open it, or if I export the original image from Apple Photos and open it in Affinity Photo from the Finder.

It only seems to affect .rw2 files that were taken on the old Panasonic GX7, and only to affect those that have been opened (or exported) from Photos. I've attached one image (the bee) that has been through Apple Photos, and another from the GX7 (a poppy) that never went into Photos but has been sitting around in a Finder folder.

I've since sold the GX7 and upgraded to a GX9. And images taken with the new camera don't have this issue at all. 

Hope this helps - happy to provide more info if I can.

H

Panasonic GX7 exported from Apple Photos.rw2

Panasonic GX7 Non-Apple Photos image.RW2

Edited by h_d
Minor wording change

Affinity Photo 2.0.3,  Affinity Designer 2.0.3, Affinity Publisher 2.0.3, Mac OSX 13, 2018 MacBook Pro 15" Intel.

More details - screen grabs of the bee image (from Apple Photos) as initially opened using the release build (1.7.3) Affinity Develop extension:

1589845048_Screenshot2020-01-24at08_40_20.thumb.png.f6c54aaa056b22019a390ef8582e1cac.png

and in the beta 1.8.0.163 Affinity Develop extension:

1688920148_Screenshot2020-01-24at08_40_53.thumb.png.8b9e7d42d8310dec1fa728f25c1b1611.png

Just to confirm, the image file is an .rw2 Panasonic Raw file shot with a Panasonic GX7. I am not seeing this issue with images shot with a Panasonic GX9.

Cheers,

H

• Staff

Thanks for the video an files :)

I think it's the amount of exposure the image needs. I can see a very slight change when adjusting the Shadows but only really on the bee itself. If I develop the image and then return to the Develop Persona, the Shadows slider has more of an effect. Not sure if this is right or not. I'll do more poking.

@Chris B Thanks! I think our last posts may have crossed.

I think you're right, it's the exposure that's blowing the shadows. But the image only needs the extreme exposure adjustment in the beta extension. As per my screen shots above, it only needs minimal exposure adjustment in the release version. 

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.