You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Text skips a column when pressing enter

Welcome to the forums.

You have a Paragraph Spacing setting of 12pt for “Space After Paragraph”. This means that you will get a space of 12pt after each paragraph that has that setting applied. This is perfectly normal behaviour for this setting as the Enter key starts a new paragraph. You can remove the space – or reduce it – by reducing the value pointed to in my attached image.
Does this help or is the problem something else?

Annotation 2020-01-21 090222.png

It's perhaps worth noting that "Space After Paragraph" is set to 12pt by default in Affinity Publisher.

The key, really, as Garry noted, is that Enter gives a new paragraph. If you simply want to end one line and force a line break, but stay in the same paragraph, you can use Shift+Enter instead. Or you can reduce that spacing value if you really did want a new paragraph.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

1 hour ago, GarryP said:

Which individual user setting do you think it should dynamically change with?

I've always thought that the "space after paragraph" should be related to the font size, in some way, if it's not going to default to 0pt.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

As far as I can tell it defaults to the default font size but I don’t know why 12pt is the default font size.
Do you (or anyone else) know why 12pt font size is the default? Obviously it’s got to be something but I don’t know why it’s 12pt specifically and not, for example, 8pt or 14pt, or 9pt, etc.
Also, I don’t know why the default space between paragraphs would, by default, be the same as the font size. Is there any typographic guideline that says this should be so?
A quick look at a few books and magazines – just to check – shows that they mostly have no space between paragraphs. 
Maybe some more useful defaults could be chosen.

I've no idea why 12pt is the default font, other than something has to be, as you said :)

As for paragraph spacing in books and magazines, usually they use indentation to signal paragraph breaks, not spacing. I believe there is formal guidance to use one or the other, but not both.

-- Walt
PC:

11 hours ago, GarryP said:

You can remove the space – or reduce it – by reducing the value pointed to in my attached image.

Not that I am even close to up to speed on this, but I noticed that checking the "Ignore space for same styles" checkbox also removes the space after paragraphs (of the same style, of course).

Would it make sense for that to be an application default?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

20 minutes ago, R C-R said:

Not that I am even close to up to speed on this, but I noticed that checking the "Ignore space for same styles" checkbox also removes the space after paragraphs (of the same style, of course).

Would it make sense for that to be an application default?

I think a zero space for before/after values makes more sense. But it is easy enough to make it zero or the setting you indicate and make it the default.

I agree that a 0pt space both before and after paragraphs should be the default values out-of-the-box.
In this case I think it’s better that a new user is given a ‘blank slate’ to work from rather than giving them some ‘extra’ formatting they might not be expecting.
Apart from the Justification and Baseline Grid settings (which can normally just be accepted), the “Space After Paragraph” setting – as far as I can see – is the only way the text is formatted, via “No Style”, so what makes that setting so special? Surely “No Style” should mean “No formatting has been applied” and the user can choose to apply their own settings if they want to?
Or, to put it another way, “No Style” doesn’t automatically apply, for example, Drop Caps, Bullets or Decorations, so why does it automatically apply a space after the paragraph? It doesn’t make much sense to me but I’d be happy to be persuaded otherwise if there is a good argument for it.

However, as MikeW said above, the defaults can be changed so it’s not that much of a big deal, as long as you know how to save the defaults (see attached image).

Annotation 2020-01-22 083328.png

• 1 month later...
On 1/21/2020 at 12:46 PM, walt.farrell said:

It's perhaps worth noting that "Space After Paragraph" is set to 12pt by default in Affinity Publisher.

The key, really, as Garry noted, is that Enter gives a new paragraph. If you simply want to end one line and force a line break, but stay in the same paragraph, you can use Shift+Enter instead. Or you can reduce that spacing value if you really did want a new paragraph.

I'am a bit confused with the new Designer 1.8 and hard and soft paragraphs. I remember in all the Layout apps that I used I can do a hard step with the return and a soft paragraph with shift and return. Now in the 1.8 version the soft paragraph with shift+return don't work. IS there a new feature or shortcut I miss? Anyone here with the same Problem? in the Designer version 1.7 works all like expected. 

Can you use menu “View → Show Special Characters” and give us a screen grab of where your text isn’t as you expect it to be?
You should see the characters as in my attached image: “strange backwards P” for a paragraph break (ENTER); “bent arrow” for line break (SHIFT+ENTER).

Annotation 2020-03-04 100719.png

This was the first thing I was search for like all other Professional Produkts should have, but can't find the »Show special Characters« in Affinity Designer 1.8 (I remember this is only in Publisher available) but like I said in the 1.7 version a soft paragraph worked, now not.

• Staff

@3joern - are you using Windows or Mac please?

On a Mac, SHIFT + RETURN or CONTROL + RETURN should create a soft return character - is this the behaviour you're seeing?

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

• Staff

Thanks for confirming that - what language settings are you using within Mac OS & Affinity please? What keyboard layout do you use? (if known)

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

• Staff

Thanks for that info - I've still been unable to replicate this on a Mac using the same setup as yourself, both Shift & Control worked with return to create a soft return.

When holding Shift & return, do you get a regular return, or no character input at all? What about in other Mac applications (do you see the same behaviour as in Affinity?)

oh as Walt suggest here: 

I take a look and just choose the Apple-Standart Shortcuts in Settings, then some Shortcuts disappears, now Designer works like expected with both Shortcuts. But if I choose Serif-Standart the deleted Shortcuts don't come back (just for the record).