You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

SD Corrupted When Connected to iPad

I realize this may be more of a general iPad issue, but I haven't been able to find an answer elsewhere. I purchased a VELLEE SD Card Reader so I could access photos taken with my Fujifilm X-E2. It works well, and with a bit of fudging around (copying my files from the card to the iCloud since I can't find a way to directly access the card from within Affinity), I'm able to edit and export just fine.

The problem is that when I remove the card and insert it back into the camera, I often get an error message to the effect that the card is unreadable. Consequently, I can't take more photos on that specific card until I reformat it. That's potentially problematic when I'm on the road, since I own a finite number of cards. I've been able to read the cards just fine with a USB reader from my desktop PC, although I do sometimes get prompted that Windows needs to fix the disk.

I'm reasonably certain this "corruption" is being caused by iOS mounting and accessing the card. If what I've read is correct, there's no "eject" function on the iPad, forcing one to simply unplug it when it isn't engaged in obvious read/ write operations. I haven't tested it, but I'm guessing a possible workaround would be to engage the lock tab on the SD card before inserting it into the iPad reader. If the iPad can't write to it, then file corruption shouldn't be possible. My only concern there is that I've seen those little tabs get loosened up, and lock themselves when you're loading it into a camera, and I'd rather not risk wearing one out.

Aside from the locking option, has anyone else faced this problem and come up with an elegant solution to avoid it?

3 minutes ago, LanceKing said:

Aside from the locking option, has anyone else faced this problem and come up with an elegant solution to avoid it?

I would seriously consider calling Apple Support.  Leave your number and they will call, almost immediately.  Ejecting SD is Apple’s problem; however, Serif is aware that Affinity has problems with reading iPadOS/SD.

Cecil 

iMac Retina 5K, 27”, 2019. 3.6 GHz Intel Core 9, 40 GB Memory DDR4, Radeon Pro 580X 8 GB, macOS,iPad Pro iPadOS

Continuous improvement is better than delayed perfection 

19 minutes ago, LanceKing said:

Thanks, Cecil. I may try giving them a call. It's a refurbished 2017 iPad, though, so I don't know if they'll provide free support to someone who isn't the original owner.

I would point out to Apple that you are not addressing a problem with your iPad, the problem is or most likely iPadOS and SD/Files Interface.

Cecil 

iMac Retina 5K, 27”, 2019. 3.6 GHz Intel Core 9, 40 GB Memory DDR4, Radeon Pro 580X 8 GB, macOS,iPad Pro iPadOS

Some USB devices get the sads when incorrectly ejected. They become unreadable. However when plugged into a pc you get a 'card not ejected correctly' type of warning and an offer to repair. They can be 'repaired' without reformatting. It would be interesting to see if you put the sd card into a pc and repair it. Your data should they be accessible again.

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

I read everything I could find on Apple Support and iPadOS is supposedly configured, allowing you to close app or removing the source connecting SD is all that is required. As it is corrupting your SD I would call.  As DM1 stated above you may be able to reverse in PC or MAC.  Let us know as I and others own iPads.  

Cecil 

• 1 month later...

I've had exactly the same problem with the genuine Apple lightning to SD card reader. The first time I assumed it was a faulty SD card. The second time I realised exactly what had happened. Not happy about losing images while on the road and will never again connect an SD card to my iPad

13 hours ago, Greg123 said:

Not happy about losing images while on the road and will never again connect an SD card to my iPad

Did you try the 'repair, option on pc? I had a portable HDD become inaccessible when unplugged from tv. Plugging into anther tv, no data!! Plug into pc, message popped up saying not ejected correctly, and did I want to repair? Yes. Data all 'reappeared'. You data may not be 'lost'.

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

This is one reason I stopped handling SD cards, most cameras have a micro USB port, I simply connect that to the Apple USB connector and transfer direct from my camera to my iPad or Mac or PC, I haven’t lost an SD card since.

My dad always told me, a bad workman always blames their tools….

Just waiting for Ronny Pickering…..

Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on macOS Sonoma 14 on M1 Mac Mini 16GB 1TB
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on Windows 10 Pro. Deceased
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 2.4 on M1 iPad Pro 11” on iPadOS 17.4 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityForiPad

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityPhoto/

The hardest link to find https://affinity.help

• 6 months later...
On 2/22/2020 at 5:57 AM, Greg123 said:

I've had exactly the same problem with the genuine Apple lightning to SD card reader. The first time I assumed it was a faulty SD card. The second time I realised exactly what had happened. Not happy about losing images while on the road and will never again connect an SD card to my iPad

This is a really late reply, but I'm still dealing with this issue. I just purchased the official Apple reader myself, and am still having the same problem. May I ask what kind of camers(s) you've used when running into this issue? I'm wondering if certain cameras are more sensitive to subtle changes on the memory card. I've found that locking the memory card does, in fact, prevent the subsequent read errors. But that's a tiresome workaround. I know iOS 14 comes out today, and am hoping that may help.

On 2/23/2020 at 1:56 PM, Paul Mudditt said:

This is one reason I stopped handling SD cards, most cameras have a micro USB port, I simply connect that to the Apple USB connector and transfer direct from my camera to my iPad or Mac or PC, I haven’t lost an SD card since.

I'm guessing you have an iPod Pro? Mine is a 5th gen 2017 model, with a lightning port. So to make that solution work, I'd need to mess with more adapters. I'm also concerned that it might just end up corrupting the card inside the camera in my case.

On 2/22/2020 at 7:01 PM, DM1 said:

Did you try the 'repair, option on pc? I had a portable HDD become inaccessible when unplugged from tv. Plugging into anther tv, no data!! Plug into pc, message popped up saying not ejected correctly, and did I want to repair? Yes. Data all 'reappeared'. You data may not be 'lost'.

That's a good suggestion. In my case, my intention in buying the iPad was to mitigate the need to take a computer on trips, so this wouldn't really work on the road.

On 1/20/2020 at 11:04 AM, Cecil said:

I would seriously consider calling Apple Support.  Leave your number and they will call, almost immediately.  Ejecting SD is Apple’s problem; however, Serif is aware that Affinity has problems with reading iPadOS/SD.

Thanks for the reply, and sorry for the late follow-up. I set this matter aside since I've not traveled recently. I'm getting ready to take a trip, and decided to revisit it. I chatted with an Apple tech online, but he didn't have any familiarity with the specific issue I was having. So I decided to buy an official Apple card reader, but that didn't resolve the issue. I did find locking the card works, but that's a hassle to remember and I'm afraid the little switch will eventually loosen up. I may try using photos shot on a different camera just to make sure it's not the camera that's at fault. Also, iOS 14 debuts today, so I'm holding out hope that maybe it's being addressed in the most recent iteration.

For those following this thread, I found another online discussion about card read errors that might provide some clues. It's from 2014, but talks about how Macs leave extra files on volumes. I'm not sure if this is true for cards read on an iPad, but it seems reasonable to assume it does - especially in view of the fact that locking the cards works around the issue. It may be that Fujifilm cameras (and possibly others) can't handle the added data.

https://www.fujixseries.com/forums/topic/7306-read-error/

UPDATE: I'm pleased to report that the release of iOS 14 has apparently corrected the problem!

After upgrading yesterday, I imported images into Photos, and then returned the SD card to my Fujifilm X-E2. I was able to cycle through the photos on the camera without any errors. I repeated this process 5 times just to be sure, taking more test shots without formatting the card in between. Each time I was able to read the card when I reinserted it into the camera. As far as my limited testing shows, the issue has been fixed. Hopefully this resolves the problem for people using other makes and models, too.

As a side note, the new version of Photos looks sharp, and is laid out cleanly. The import function in particular is more logically presented overall.