You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[AD] constrain brush stroke horizontally/vertically

• Staff

Hi Markio :)

It certainly is! You can use a one finger modifier on screen, then tap between the points where you wish to draw a straight line. This can be seen in my screen recording below - 

I hope this helps!

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

1 minute ago, Dan C said:

You can use a one finger modifier on screen, then tap between the points where you wish to draw a straight line.

That just gives you an arbitrary straight line, not a perfectly horizontal or vertical one.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• Staff
26 minutes ago, Alfred said:

That just gives you an arbitrary straight line, not a perfectly horizontal or vertical one.

My apologies, I misread the original post :$

23 minutes ago, Markio said:

Yes, and it would be nice to keep the pressure sensitivity along the stroke.

Unfortunately I don't believe this to be possible in the Pixel Persona of Designer for iPad, the closest workaround I can think of is using the above method with a grid for guidance, however this will not guarantee perfectly horizontal/vertical lines.

May I ask why you cannot use vector objects here? (or alternatively you could create the design in Vector with perfectly straight lines, group these objects and then rasterise the group to a pixel layer?

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

48 minutes ago, Dan C said:

May I ask why you cannot use vector objects here?

I guess that would be a possibility. But I would like to emulate sketching freehand, with the added possibility to use constraints on the strokes.

I am an architect, so I would benefit from straight but 'sketchy' lines. Sketchy in the sense of making a sketch, not just as an end-result.