You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Disappointed. No Multiple text columns in the next future?

1 hour ago, Cuando said:

@fde101 Can you mention some applications that do not have this feature?

Affinity Designer, for one...  😎

Inkscape for another I believe, though granted that does support linking of text-containing shapes, which could be used to "roll your own" primitive ones in a sense.

2 hours ago, Cuando said:

really?

Unless you cheat of course, like @tudor obviously did, by creating it in Publisher and copying/moving it across... 😎

Indeed Inkscape cannot do it, and neither can Amadine, Acorn or Intaglio (granted those last three are lower-spec products in general).

I love when people talk about how Adobe is "oh, oh so great" and Serif "oh, oh so bad".

I remember how countless times I was missing tables in illustrator. Nope, you need InDesign for it. Ow... But thats OK, because its Adobe.
Affinity doesnt have multiple columns? "How unprofessional! How can that be?! You will never be as good as Adobe!".
You can have Publisher with all the goodies for absurdly low, 1 time pay price but noooo, lets still whine about how Adobe is better.

Seriously, people cant be satisfied no matter what.

30 minutes ago, nezumi said:

I love when people talk about how Adobe is "oh, oh so great" and Serif "oh, oh so bad".

I remember how countless times I was missing tables in illustrator. Nope, you need InDesign for it. Ow... But thats OK, because its Adobe.
Affinity doesnt have multiple columns? "How unprofessional! How can that be?! You will never be as good as Adobe!".
You can have Publisher with all the goodies for absurdly low, 1 time pay price but noooo, lets still whine about how Adobe is better.

Seriously, people cant be satisfied no matter what.

I personally don't think it is a great/bad thing to compare features.

I also think you are perhaps missing an important difference: Adobe never said, we'll never add tables or linked text frames in Illy. They simply added them at some point in development.

1 minute ago, MikeW said:

I also think you are perhaps missing an important difference: Adobe never said, we'll never add tables or linked text frames in Illy. They simply added them at some point in development.

I don't think that Serif has said they'll never add those to Designer, either.

Personally, I don't think they will add them. I think they will say that users wanting those functions should also buy Publisher. And given the relatively low cost of the 3 Affinity applications I think that is a good approach, for both the users and Serif.

But that's just my opinion and belief; nothing official.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

22 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

I don't think that Serif has said they'll never add those to Designer, either.

Personally, I don't think they will add them. I think they will say that users wanting those functions should also buy Publisher. And given the relatively low cost of the 3 Affinity applications I think that is a good approach, for both the users and Serif.

But that's just my opinion and belief; nothing official.

If Serif writes any form of, use APub for those functions, while it is not a declaration of never, it is functionally the same.

Which is exactly what many/most Adobe users felt. Should Serif ever add such functionality, Serif users will also feel as elated as Adobe users felt when they added those things. 

I personally don't care. Though it would be a great convenience. 

20 hours ago, pruus said:

What I would like the have in Affinity, that I can import gif-files and all images in the gif are imported to different layers. That’s more essential than 2 columns. 

Breathing is much more important, but that is not the question.

17 hours ago, MikeW said:

I don't hate Serif, on the contrary I love it.
Loving something does not mean NOT being critical with certain characteristics, we are here to make Serif something better from a user point of view.

It is not a question of comparisons, it is a question that if something works and is interesting for the user, would it be a good idea to implement it?

(Sorry for my basic English)

18 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

This approach is a mistake for me. Publisher has his role, as does Photo, Affinity Designer still doesn't know what he wants to be when he grows up.

Implementing a few simple columns of text in Affinity Designer is not going to take away from Affinity Publisher, on the contrary it will make the Suite stronger and more attractive to the user.

These are only my personal opinions and professional needs, and do not have to be valid for everyone, of course.

2 hours ago, Cuando said:

Affinity Designer still doesn't know what he wants to be when he grows up.

How so?

Serif defines this quite well on their web site:

Affinity Photo is a "photo editor" - thus it is meant for editing and retouching photos.  You start with a photo, and you edit it.

Affinity Designer is a "graphic design and illustration app" - you start with nothing and you create artwork.

Affinity Publisher, however, is oddly described as "professional publishing" software, even though it doesn't actually publish anything...  to publish something you need to distribute it; while Publisher can be used to prepare documents for distribution, it doesn't contain any tools to assist in actually performing the distribution.  It is really "page layout" software - so you take multiple somethings and lay them out on pages to create a final document, preparing it to be published by other means.

On 3/11/2020 at 9:18 AM, MikeW said:

They simply added them at some point in development

Problem is that they didn't. There are still no tables in illustrator. Just like there is no such absurdly simple things as inner shadow...
In general latest updates to Photoshop usually mean "Now even better automatic selections" and for Illustrator its... I dont know... "New splash screen"? Illustrator became borderline abandon ware. If anybody is on a lookout for weakest, most absurd, insignificant, pathetic updates among creative software - look no further. Adobe Illustrator takes first place, hands down.

"But Illustrator has lot of things Designer still doesn't!"

Sure. Because it was released in 1987. Let it sink - it was released in 80's! Version 2020 of illustrator is 24th in his history. (And still doesn't have bloody inner shadow :D Too PRO for such silly thing)
Affinity Designer is still not even 2.0. And it replaced Illustrator for many people already. True, I am missing some options (most significantly "select objects with same fill color", automatic bitmap tracing, knife...). Its not perfect, I have to use it with free Inkscape to fully replace Illustrator. But it is absolutely awesome piece of software. People who are complaining about lack of some features don't see (or don't want to see) that we are talking about version 1.8 here. Not 24th like illustrator. Affinity is going strong. Give them some time. Point out whats missing but have some perspective, give it some time.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.