You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

More information needed when downloading free trial versions?

This is an old topic that I will revisit. This is what the download page looks like after having signed in.

1281984650_ScreenShot2020-01-18at15_16_09.png.201d18a571cd57d0f5adb2505ff01caa.png

What is missing from the above is a tooltip or an accordion or something to give more information about what kind of trial this is. Is it a 30 day trial or 10 day trial? Does it start from the moment one has downloaded the trial? Are there save restrictions? One needs to know what the restrictions to the trial is.

This is the information I would have liked to seen as I was going to download the trial software.
"This is a 10 day trial which starts from the moment you have opened the software. There are no save restrictions and behaves just like the regular program."

Here is my first wireframe creation (not just modifying colors in a photo) in Affinity Photo.
Fairly basic.

102505694_DownloadpageAffinity.jpg.697e24b9b0b242d865632efe00ba0cd1.jpg

Based on various methods I am used to from Photoshop I am seeing some nuances that I will post about in another thread.

Bottom line is: Please inform people what kind of trial is being downloaded.

ps
I like easter eggs in games here is one for the trial.
When the timer goes to 0 days left. Have an option to add another 10 days when the user is ready to continue. This way if the user has downloaded and barely tested and forgot about it and ran out of the 10 days they get a second chance to test it out. As it can be easy to download software and test it out for a few moments, get busy and forget about it. Suddenly after a month one might say "Oooo the trial, man I forgot about it." As the user opens the trial they will see the big 0 days left, and below it the option to start the 2nd 10 day trial of the same software. Only this time the user takes the time to go through it. This time it can also mention: "This is the 2nd time and final round of testing. If you like the software you will at the end of the trial get a purchase link. Making it easier for you to purchase and get a license you can insert into the version you are running right now. Have fun."

ps2.
@Dan C Can you please move this if I again wrote in the wrong place? Thanks.

Have a great weekend!

Paal Joachim

Edited by paaljoachim

1 hour ago, paaljoachim said:

What is missing from the above is a tooltip or an accordion or something to give more information about what kind of trial this is. Is it a 30 day trial or 10 day trial? Does it start from the moment one has downloaded the trial? Are there save restrictions? One needs to know what the restrictions to the trial is.

The trial clock doesn’t start until the first time you launch the app, but it then runs continuously and expires after ten days. Although there is no option to extend the trial period, the trial clock will be reset (so that prospective purchasers can try out the new features) after the next point release goes to retail. Version 1.8 is currently in beta.

It’s worth noting that (because the Affinity apps share a common file format) you can save files during a trial of one app and then reopen them when subsequently trying out another app in the suite.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• Staff

@paaljoachim I have split this topic into the Feedback section of our forums as I feel it best belongs here. Please note you are now no longer 'following' this thread and therefore won't be notified of replies. You can change your follow settings at the top right of the thread.

The same is applicable for you, @Alfred :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!