You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

The new toggle system for alt+R click+L click are missing some settings

In the Beta a new toggle feature was added for various tools using brushes where you change the functionality for alt+R click+L click. I did notice however that it doesn't support a few settings as seen in the video:

For the Brush Tool you are not able to change Opacity and Flow with this shortcut, which I think are pretty important settings to change on the fly as well. The Smudge Tool is also missing two important settings like Strength and Flow from the toggle options. I think there are more examples of this for some other tools as well like Blur, Sharpen, Sponge, and more.

P.S. Could you also increase the contrast of the UI elements for the shortcut please? Notice how much they blend into the painting in the background, which makes them a bit hard to see.

11 minutes ago, Frozen Death Knight said:

In the Beta a new toggle feature was added for various tools using brushes where you change the functionality for alt+R click+L click.

I don't recall seeing any information about that. Is there any that you can point to?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

14 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

I don't recall seeing any information about that. Is there any that you can point to?

Nope. I just noticed it being there while trying the Beta. Then I went back to 1.7.3 and tried the same thing and the feature wasn't there, so I just concluded that it was a brand new 1.8 feature. Seems like Serif forgot to write about it in the patch notes, since I don't know when it was added honestly. This happened last year for the 1.7.0 Beta as well when they forgot to mention shift producing straight vertical and horizontal lines for brushes.

I guess I'm having a hard time understanding what is new (or what you think is new) in the Beta in this area.

For any brush-related tool, Alt+right-click+ (drag right/left) has always adjusted the brush size. And Alt+right-click + (drag up/down) has always adjusted the hardness.

I don't see anything additional happening in the Photo 1.8 beta.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

6 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

I guess I'm having a hard time understanding what is new (or what you think is new) in the Beta in this area.

For any brush-related tool, Alt+right-click+ (drag right/left) has always adjusted the brush size. And Alt+right-click + (drag up/down) has always adjusted the hardness.

I don't see anything additional happening in the Photo 1.8 beta.

Check the video again and go into Photo. In the Beta, if you keep pressing L click while holding down alt+R click you will toggle between size/hardness, shape/spacing, and rotation. So you can replace size/hardness while dragging to something else on that same shortcut. That is a brand new feature exclusive to 1.8.

6 minutes ago, Frozen Death Knight said:

Check the video again and go into Photo. In the Beta, if you keep pressing L click while holding down alt+R click you will toggle between size/hardness, shape/spacing, and rotation. So you can replace size/hardness while dragging on that same shortcut. That is a brand new feature exclusive to 1.8.

Sorry. but I'm not seeing how to enable that from either video, and I'm not able to replicate that behavior from your description on my copy of Photo Beta .526 on Windows.

It does look interesting, but I've no idea how you're doing it. Sorry.

-- Walt
PC:

Just now, walt.farrell said:

Sorry. but I'm not seeing how to enable that from either video, and I'm not able to replicate that behavior from your description on my copy of Photo Beta .526 on Windows.

It does look interesting, but I've no idea how you're doing it. Sorry.

Ah, okay. Well, the best way to explain it is this:

1) Hold down alt and then hold down R click on your mouse (Doesn't work yet on my tablet because of Windows Ink bugs.). Now the UI for brush/hardness will appear.

2) While holding down alt+R click you press L click. Remember to fast click and not drag your mouse, or it will perform the regular command.

3) Once you've switched to shape/spacing or rotation, just drag your mouse while holding down L click. Remember not to release alt+R click from step one.

4) You've done it! Congratulations! : )

Interesting. Thanks; that works.

-- Walt
PC:

I  must admit I was pretty confused with these options, but have them working now. Agree that Opacity should be included in the L-click options.

Asus ROG Strix G17 Notebook:
AMD Ryzen 7 5800H 3.80 GHz with Radeon Vega Graphics | 32GB DDR4 3200mHz RAM
Nvidia GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB Gfx | 2x 2TB SSD NVMe PCIe M.2 3x4 | Windows 11 Version 22H2 Build 22623.870

The Photo Beta Help for "Painting Brush Strokes" does not yet describe the new behavior.

-- Walt
PC:

46 minutes ago, Chris B said:

I'll pass the feedback on and ask the documentation team to address what has been missed. Thanks! 

Thanks! Question, any news on the Windows Ink bugs I reported a few weeks ago? Will they be fixed for the next Windows Beta or will we have to wait longer? It's a bit of a bummer working with Affinity without some shortcuts like the ones mentioned in this thread. ^-^

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.