You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

This isn’t strictly an Affinity question, but I’ve recently started importing DNG files from my IPhone and developing them in Affinity on my Windows 10 machine.

Affinity opens the files fine, but if I use Windows Explorer to look at a directory that contains DNG files, Windows Explorer crashes.

Moreover, it tries to restart, but since it tries to open the same directory, it crashes again and again and again.

I accidentally found a way to get it to stop (use the command line command “explorer.exe /?” - the /? Has the effect of moving Explorer up one level, and that level doesn’t contain any DNG files, so Explorer stays up).

I’ve seen evidence on Google that this problem has been around for several years, but no suggestions of how to fix it.

anybody know a fix?

15 hours ago, SteveB523 said:

anybody know a fix?

More a workround than a fix - try using the Adobe DNG converter to produce "safe" versions of the iPhone files.  

I've seen posts that suggest the problem is associated with viewing thumbnails - maybe installing a different DNG codec would help?

AP, AD & APub user, running Win10

On 1/20/2020 at 4:53 AM, IanSG said:

More a workround than a fix - try using the Adobe DNG converter to produce "safe" versions of the iPhone files.  

I've seen posts that suggest the problem is associated with viewing thumbnails - maybe installing a different DNG codec would help?

Good suggestion - since you suggested that it is  associated with viewing thumbnails, I turned off the preview panel in Explorer. Voila! no more crashing.

Affinity opens the DNG files without any problems, so I may not need to use the converter.

SO stranger and stranger....

1. Apple DNG files work fine.

2. The DNG files I'm having trouble with came from a class on the NIK Collection on Udemy.  I don't know what kind of camera created them. But if you open a directory with any of those files in it, the Windows 10 file Explorer crashes.

a.  If you try to restart the file explorer, it's still pointing at the same directory, so it crashes again.

b.  I can start the file explorer with a command line command "explorer.exe /". The "/" moves the directory up a level, so the file explorer will remain up (unless you point it back at a directory that contains a "bad" DNG file.

c.  However, it I try to run explorer from the normal icon after step (b) above, it still crashes.

d.  If I try to open one of the DNG files with Affinity (production version 1.7.3), the Open dialog box will show the directory with the files, but if I select one of the DNG files, Affinity crashes.

e.  If I try to open one of the DNG files with Photoshop Elements 2019, the Open dialog box will show the directory with the files, but if I select one of the DNG files, Photoshop Elements crashes.

f.  To fix the problem with the file explorer, I had to resort to DOS commands to move the DNG files to a different directory (Boy, that was a memory exercise).

g.  I tried the suggestion above to convert the files using the Adobe DNG file converter (version 12.1).  The converter said it completed all files, but all error symptoms remained.

Since my iPhone is the only camera that makes DNG files that I will commonly deal with, I'm just going to delete the DNG files from my Windows 10 machine and deal with them on my Mac, where they work correctly.

However, there is clearly a problem with Windows 10 and some DNG files.

5 hours ago, SteveB523 said:

g.  I tried the suggestion above to convert the files using the Adobe DNG file converter (version 12.1).  The converter said it completed all files, but all error symptoms remained.

Interesting!  My guess would be that the files contain some camera / manufacturer specific data structures that the converter isn't changing.  It may still be worth trying a different codec to display the files - the FastPictureViewer codec pack  works well and has a free trial.

AP, AD & APub user, running Win10