You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

2 hours ago, GarryP said:

Note that if you have a node selected in the existing curve then the new curve will be added with a joining curve section, otherwise the new curve will be ‘separate’ (but part of the same curve).

To add a bit to that, you must have a start or end node of an open curve selected to add a new node to it with the Pen Tool. To make this easier, with the Pen Tool selected, you can temporarily switch to the Node Tool by holding down a modifier key (CMD on Macs, I assume CTRL on Windows) to reselect the curve (if necessary) & then to select a start or end node.

Also, this works whether or not the "Add New Curve To Selected Curves Object" option (the button with the two overlapping circles in the context toolbar) is enabled. The difference is that option adds a new, unconnected curve to the "(Curve)" layer (as Garry's GIF shows) when the existing selected curve does not have any of its nodes preselected.

In effect, this 'Add New Curve' option is somewhat like using the "Add" boolean on several open curve layers to get a "(Curves)" layer, but (hooray for this!) does so without the not-always-so-helpful side effect of automatically closing the open curves when boolean added to make the "(Curves)" layer.

Maybe a bit weirdly, if you select two or more open curves not part of the same layer & use the Layer > Geometry > Merge Curves menu item, this also produces a single "(Curves)" layer, but that does not close the open curves like the boolean add does. O.o

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

"Also, this works whether or not the "Add New Curve To Selected Curves Object" option (the button with the two overlapping circles in the context toolbar) is enabled."

that's the button that i couldn't find! both of your replies make sense to me, and i thank you very much!