You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Duplicating a layer by dragging existing layer to group/pixel layers

Hi

It would be helpful to be able to drag an existing layer to either group or pixel layer to automatically duplicate a layer.
+
an additional feature would be to hold down alt and then drag a layer in the layer panel to create a duplicate.
Similar to selecting a shape and holding down alt to create a duplicate shape directly on the canvas.

Btw
Holding down Alt when a shape is selected on the canvas should show a duplicate symbol to show that something is about to be duplicated.

Existing methods for duplicating layer
Right click layer and select Duplicate or
Top menu: Layer -> Duplicate.

Ps
Ops. Sorry about that. @Dan C Hey Dan this thread has to do with Photo but might just as well have to do with all of them.
I noticed I posted in Affinity Designer. This was feedback in relation to Affinity Photo.
Please move it to the correct location. Thank you..:)

• 6 months later...
On 1/18/2020 at 9:49 PM, paaljoachim said:

Thanks for the feedback haakoo!

Any layer that is dragged to a create new pixel layer/group/etc should automatically duplicate itself.

Absolutely so! This is just so intuitively right that I cannot see any sound reason why this hasn't been implemented right away. The people at Adobe are having this right for so many years now and it shouldn't be a shame learning from them every now and then...

On 1/18/2020 at 6:33 PM, paaljoachim said:

It would be helpful to be able to drag an existing layer to either group or pixel layer to automatically duplicate a layer.
+
an additional feature would be to hold down alt and then drag a layer in the layer panel to create a duplicate.
Similar to selecting a shape and holding down alt to create a duplicate shape directly on the canvas.

Btw
Holding down Alt when a shape is selected on the canvas should show a duplicate symbol to show that something is about to be duplicated.

I totally agree. The way duplication of layers and groups is handled as of today is definitely not ergonomic and there are enough examples of how to do it better (e.g. Photoshop...).

It's just so annoying when you finally want to leave Adobe for good and then you feel slowed down in your workflow by such unnecessarily complicated steps.

I actually feel that the Affinity apps generally too often make you resort to a menu or a button when some alt/click or -drag or just hitting the "Enter"-key (instead of going to an ”Apply"-button at the other end of the screen) would intuitively feel like the right way to do the job.