You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Save Affinity layers not an option for .tiff files

Which Affinity app are you using, & on which platform (Mac or Windows)?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

10 hours ago, DaveMustang said:

I have a few documents I would like to export so as not to lose them.

I can't answer your question, Dave, but I have one for you.

You say you want to export your TIFF with the Affinity layers included so you don't "lose" your documents.

How do you think you might lose them? Wouldn't simply saving them as .afdesign files ensure that you have a copy?

And are you aware that only the Affinity applications will be able to use those "Affinity layers"? Normal TIFF files do not have layers, and saving the Affinity data in a TIFF file involves using tags and data formats that are known only to Affinity, and not documented by Serif for other programs to use.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

12 hours ago, DaveMustang said:

Why would Save Affinity layers be greyed out while trying to export .tiff files? I have a few documents I would like to export so as not to lose them. 

If you have Vector layers (curves or shapes) these would need to be rendered as pixels for a TIFF file so you would lose them anyway.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Guys, it is not as simple as you say and you haven't managed to answer OP question.

I can draw a design with vector shapes, save it as TIFF with affinity layers. Result will open as simple pixel image in Photoshop. I can open the TIFF in Designer and I get the original vector shapes just like they were when exporting.

Why this does not happen with OP is the question.

6 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

I can't answer your question, Dave, but I have one for you.

You say you want to export your TIFF with the Affinity layers included so you don't "lose" your documents.

How do you think you might lose them? Wouldn't simply saving them as .afdesign files ensure that you have a copy?

And are you aware that only the Affinity applications will be able to use those "Affinity layers"? Normal TIFF files do not have layers, and saving the Affinity data in a TIFF file involves using tags and data formats that are known only to Affinity, and not documented by Serif for other programs to use.

update:  I just was so involved with exporting I overlooked the SaveAs option to save .afdesign format.  Duh

I have some updates that required a restart and didn't want to lose any progress, and for some reason I couldn't save the document with layers to be able to go back an edit. I cannot remember how to save simply as .afdesign files when the only option to save layers is in .tiff format.

And yes, I am very much aware Affinity files are only compatible with Affinity apps..