You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Patch tool appears to have blend applied to replacement

• Staff

Hey Stuart,

I logged this last year with the developers however it was closed as by design due to the image I was testing it on. The image in your video is also similar as in there are so many tones, shades and colours that the algorithm is indeed trying to blend them together. If for example, you attempted removing a cluster of blemishes from a cheek, you should see no such issue.

On 1/20/2020 at 2:34 PM, Chris B said:

Hey Stuart,

I logged this last year with the developers however it was closed as by design due to the image I was testing it on. The image in your video is also similar as in there are so many tones, shades and colours that the algorithm is indeed trying to blend them together. If for example, you attempted removing a cluster of blemishes from a cheek, you should see no such issue.

I was under the impression that the patch tool with blend set at normal should just be effectively copying the pixels from the source so should be an exact copy. I don’t see where an algorithm would be involved.

• Staff

I imagine it attempts to blend the surrounding pixels of the selected area with the destination pixels. If they differ greatly, the algorithm gets confused and starts bringing in random colours. 

The tool works fine when using it to remove a blemish from a skin tone but in your video, you have blues, whites, browns, greys and yellows within the selected area so I think you're asking too much from the tool and this isn't typically what it would be used for. The tools primary use is for repairing damaged areas of an image.