You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

12/24 Core Threadripper Drained During Affinity Designer Export

Hello guys, I just have a quick question.

Is this normal that my fans are spinning like crazy and all threads are fully utilized during the Affinity Designer export?

Now I am on Windows 10, with AMD Threadripper 2920x 12/24 Cores overclocked to 4.1 GHz. This didn´t happen when I exported on my Macbook Pro with i7 2.2Ghz. Using the same file. 

I am exporting some large scale stuff for 12m long walls into the PDF with high DPI count above 300 DPI. So I understand that the export obviously takes longer. 

But my CPU is fully utilized now for 10 minutes. And my temps are hitting 73°C. I am running the latest Affinity 1.7.3

Thanks for any help or sugggestions. 

Capture.PNG

Capture-2.PNG

Capture-3.PNG

From what I can see in the image of what you are exporting I can’t see why the export would be taking 10 minutes (even on a much-less-powerful machine); the artboards don’t look massively complicated.
You probably don’t want to share the original file in public but one of the team might give you a link through which you can send it to them – privately – so they can check it for you.
In the meantime, have you tried exporting each artboard separately? Does that make a difference? Maybe the delay is being caused by just one of them so it might be useful to see which one (if any) to try and find the problem area.

I understand thank you. That private link could be helpful. The file is much bigger, I didn't include the screenshot of the whole thing. The file is about 2 GB in size due to the very high resolution embedded image files that are over 10000 px 

Probably this is normal in this case. And my Macbook thermal throttles and I just didn't notice performance drop when working. And when I now have more powerful machine, Affinity uses all cores that you throw at it. 

But yes please send me the private link so that guys from the team could look at it.

THX

Ah, massive images might cause a problem but I still wouldn’t expect it to take as long as 10 minutes (unless what we can see is only ‘the tip of the iceberg’). However, my own documents aren’t anywhere near as large so I don’t have anything to compare it with. I’ve exported Publisher documents (I assume it’s pretty much the same export engine) with lots of pages and fairly large images but they have never taken more than a few seconds (I think 10 seconds is my max so far, nowhere near 10 minutes).

Have you tried exporting the artboards individually? It might help to pin down whether it was one in particular that was causing the trouble.

Only a member of the team can send you a link – I’m not in the team, just a forum member.

• Staff

Hi robert.sarudy :)

3 hours ago, robert.sarudy said:

I am exporting some large scale stuff for 12m long walls into the PDF with high DPI count above 300 DPI. So I understand that the export obviously takes longer. 

1 hour ago, robert.sarudy said:

The file is about 2 GB in size due to the very high resolution embedded image files that are over 10000 px 

Probably this is normal in this case. And my Macbook thermal throttles and I just didn't notice performance drop when working. And when I now have more powerful machine, Affinity uses all cores that you throw at it. 

46 minutes ago, robert.sarudy said:

This one artboard is especially slow. It is one vector symbol duplicated many times over 1.3 meter artboard  in scale 1:10 which is going to be a 13 meter wall.

This is to be expected, as you've mentioned Affinity always utilises all resources that we have access to and 100% CPU utilisation is what we're aiming for when exporting documents.

I can still look into this file and see if there's any suggestions I can make to help speed up your export, could you please upload your file to the following link for me?

https://www.dropbox.com/request/mXSkK0lgkUTyGCCAxwpL

I also require your export settings, could you please provide a screenshot of your export settings here, including the 'More' options - many thanks in advance!

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

• Staff

No problem at all, thanks for your file!

I've tried a few different export options, as well as changing the document DPI to 50 (but still exporting at 2400) & using the 1.8 Designer beta - however none of these options have provided a significantly faster export time, my apologies.

One option is to split each Artboard into its own document, as this may speed up exporting in certain cases, however from my limited testing this does not seem to be the case with your document.

Unfortunately I cannot recommend anything currently to speed up your export times, my sincerest apologies.

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

4 minutes ago, Dan C said:

No problem at all, thanks for your file!

I've tried a few different export options, as well as changing the document DPI to 50 (but still exporting at 2400) & using the 1.8 Designer beta - however none of these options have provided a significantly faster export time, my apologies.

One option is to split each Artboard into its own document, as this may speed up exporting in certain cases, however from my limited testing this does not seem to be the case with your document.

Unfortunately I cannot recommend anything currently to speed up your export times, my sincerest apologies.

I completely understand it. That is fine. Overall Affinity Designer is still the fastest tool in my workflow anyway :)