You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Batch processing allows users to drag and drop files

I use batch processing to convert image formats. Since I have other file managers, I prefer to drag my selected images from the file manager I use (like Total Commander or Adobe Bridge).

However, in adding pictures in a batch process, I cannot drag and drop files. I can only use the add picture button and then select the file I want to process in the system explorer. 
This is too much trouble! 

It is recommended to let go of this obstacle and allow users to drag and drop pictures instead of letting users only select pictures with win10 file manager. This is too rigid, just like Adobe ’s rigid

I can confirm, the macos version does NOT support drag-n-drop. (batch and pano)

Would be cool If they add native drop targets.

(Beta 1.8.163)

• Main machine: iMac 2019 (21,5-inch 4k, 6core), 64GB RAM, 1TB nvme + 2TB ssd, running on Mac OS 13;
  • Display setup: 28" 5k Display (primary) + 21,5" iMac4k-Display for studio panels (secondary);
  • Keyboard layout: german apple extended keyboard (aluminium);

There is such a story: The road most people walk in the park is often stepped out, because the road planned by the government is often not the road we really want to take.

I always disagree with restricting the user's operating habits. 
Just like we can drag and drop pictures to Affinity Photo & Designer, the ability for users to drag and drop pictures should be global

• 7 months later...

Any progress on this? This looks to be a highly requested feature. I do batch jobs quite frequently and it's excruciatingly slow to navigate every single folder by hand in order to collect the images.

Right now I'm doing a batch job that requires sourcing 2088 images in 513 folders. This will take me at least an hour when it could be just a simple Windows search and then drag and drop the images in the program. 1 hour vs 1 minute!

It's been 2 years or longer since this has been requested by myself and others and still nothing on this front. I can't image it to be THAT hard to implement, is it?

Affinity Photo 2.3.1 for Windows  OS: Windows 10 Pro x64 ver. 22H2  CPU: AMD Ryzen 7950X 16-core  RAM: 64 GB DDR5-6400  GPU: MSI GeForce RTX 3090 Suprim X 24GB / driver 526.98  NVMe SSD Samsung 980 Pro 1 TB  Monitors: 2x Eizo ColorEdge CS2420 24"

On 8/29/2020 at 6:10 PM, Alex_M said:

Right now I'm doing a batch job that requires sourcing 2088 images in 513 folders. This will take me at least an hour when it could be just a simple Windows search and then drag and drop the images in the program. 1 hour vs 1 minute!

If you used Windows Explorer to gather your source files into a single folder, then you can point your Batch Job to this single folder. It would probably take considerably less than an hour (depending on file size).

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

It works if you run the search from APhoto
Start a new Batch Job, click Add
Navigate to your top level folder and enter the Search String
Select images and click Open
3266 were added to the Sources panel in 14s from 56 folders
Then I set a simple rule to resize them to 300px wide into a new folder
Processed in 21s

Microsoft Windows 11 Home, Intel i7-1360P 2.20 GHz, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Intel Iris Xe
Affinity Photo - 24/05/20, Affinity Publisher - 06/12/20, KTM Superduke - 27/09/10

On 8/31/2020 at 6:25 PM, John Rostron said:

If you used Windows Explorer to gather your source files into a single folder, then you can point your Batch Job to this single folder. It would probably take considerably less than an hour (depending on file size).

John

Thanks for the suggestion, but this is not really a solution because I want the photos to remain in their original folders.

11 hours ago, David in Яuislip said:

Processed in 21s

Thanks, I've got to try this out. Still not ideal though IMHO. It needs a proper drag and drop.

Affinity Photo 2.3.1 for Windows  OS: Windows 10 Pro x64 ver. 22H2  CPU: AMD Ryzen 7950X 16-core  RAM: 64 GB DDR5-6400  GPU: MSI GeForce RTX 3090 Suprim X 24GB / driver 526.98  NVMe SSD Samsung 980 Pro 1 TB  Monitors: 2x Eizo ColorEdge CS2420 24"

20 hours ago, David in Яuislip said:

Processed in 21s

OMG, Nice trick! It works 😂
But unfortunately, you can only choose one type of file extension at a time.

13 minutes ago, David in Яuislip said:

Try

*.jpg OR *.png OR *.tif

It works! Thank you!

It works simply:
png OR jpg OR tiff

2 minutes ago, telemax said:

It works simply:
png OR jpg OR tiff

See, you're an expert now. Probably ought to be png OR jpg OR jpeg OR tif OR tiff

If you're at a high enough level, say D:\ then you can specify folder names like

D:\Bath\*.jpg OR "D:\Brighton Photos\*.jpg"

Note if you have spaces in the folder name then it has to be enclosed in quotation marks

Search string is limited to 259 characters, hours of fun

Microsoft Windows 11 Home, Intel i7-1360P 2.20 GHz, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Intel Iris Xe
Affinity Photo - 24/05/20, Affinity Publisher - 06/12/20, KTM Superduke - 27/09/10

22 hours ago, David in Яuislip said:

There must be a word to describe someone who can come up with a clever idea like this: combining tricks from both Affinity and Windows. Unfortunately I cannot think of a suitable one. Make up your own!

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

22 minutes ago, John Rostron said:

There must be a word to describe someone

well, I'd like to think it's a combination of talent, diligence, good looks but my Mum would probably say, "Stubborn" so stubborn it is