You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Using Images as Templates ('Scrapbooking' in A. Photo)

I have tried applying things I learned in this thread: 

to a different template. My goal is to use the black/white images to create matted photos, with the photo showing where the black is ( in such a way I can move or resize the photo to change how much/which parts show through the hole) and the 'paper' matting the photo, corresponding to the white area. I was only partially successful and it took a lot of steps. 

I would like to know how seasoned Affinity Photo users would accomplish this. Thank you!

matted photo box.png

matted photo.png

matted photo box.afphoto

To use the frame image in your .aphoto file, make an image a child of the frame image and change the layer blend mode of the picture to screen, then move the picture within the frame to suit.
Screen-Shot-2020-01-17-at-08-41-40.png

I also added an Layerfx: Outer shadow to make the frame pop off the page.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Morning Tanya, Yes I rasterised the black and white image first.

There are 4 very small white dots that make the bounds of that image larger than it needs to be, to reduce the bounds of that image You need to use the eraser on the four dots: see image below, I have circled where they are, you will need to zoom in to at least 100% to see them, erasing them snaps the blue bounds tighter to the image.

Dot locations
Screen-Shot-2020-01-18-at-08-33-19.png

Bound before erasing dots
Screen-Shot-2020-01-18-at-08-38-48.png

Bound after erasing dots
Screen-Shot-2020-01-18-at-08-38-22.png

Here are the layer fx settings, shadows are rarely a neutral colour (greyscale) especially when cast onto a colour, so I selected a dark colour from the image to use as the shadow, the background colour is also a selection from a brighter area of the image.
Screen-Shot-2020-01-18-at-08-42-36.png

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

If you have a zebra texture or any texture to that mind, you can over-size it to the border you want and just sit the image over it, this is probably the easiest way to do it. Another way is to again oversize a rectangle and fill it with a bitmap pattern and sit any image over it, the latter is more flexible.

Getting a textured edge requires masking and generally more than one mask, so a mask to create the textured edge (Rasterise to mask) and another to mask the image to the inner area of the frame (Mask to below) these can then be grouped and an outer shadow added to the group.

Here is a zebra texture I made in Filter Forge
2128820389_ZebraPrint.png.341a9f89423266032ecf36e79ee41043.png