You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I am just starting to learn how to use Affinity Photo.  When merging three photos I saved my work on Desktop.  Now I can only open Affinity Photo by clicking on that saved image on Desktop.  How can I revert back to opening Affinity Photo by clicking on the Affinity Photo icon-there is a dot under the icon the whole time now as if it is open even when it is closed!  (On iMac).

• Staff

I am re-opening Affinity via the menu towards the top left which only appears when Affinity Photo is the active app. This is what I think SueB needs to do.

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

What happens if you change the render settings on the performance tab in Affinity Preferences

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

19 minutes ago, firstdefence said:

What happens if you change the render settings on the performance tab in Affinity Preferences

I switched to "Software", restarted and works fine (very slow, but fine) !

I tried with "OpenGL (basic)" and "OpenGL" and desn't work ... maybe something changed on Mac OS ? I got Catalina 10.15.2 on a 13" MacBook Air Early 2015 with 8GB RAM

Thank you very much !

Edited by LuckyMan

Callum’s video – as watched in Firefox – is around 10 seconds long but not much happens after the first second or so.
I tried clearing my Firefox cache but it was still the same.
However, when I downloaded the MOV file and watched it in the Windows “Films & TV” app it works.
I have no idea why that would be.
Callum, have you tried watching the video via your web browser? Or asked someone else to on their machine? What happens?

@LuckyMan So your Mac can't use Metal?

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

7 minutes ago, GarryP said:

Callum’s video – as watched in Firefox – is around 10 seconds long but not much happens after the first second or so.
However, when I downloaded the MOV file and watched it in the Windows “Films & TV” app it works.
Callum, have you tried watching the video via your web browser? Or asked someone else to on their machine? What happens?

I have just watched callums vid in Safari 13.0.4 and it runs fine, but on FF 70 it runs for 2 seconds and then stops.

Note: video runs correctly in FF 72.0.1 latest FF so update your FF Garry.

HD 6000 does support metal, there is usually settings active under the performance tab in preferences: James can help explain here: https://affinity.serif.com/en-gb/tutorials/photo/desktop/video/342249763/

It seems like everyone who has posted here – except me – is using a Mac whereas I’m on Windows.
There may be an issue with the Quicktime MOV encoding not being MP4 which could be causing Firefox to not display the file properly.
Windows doesn’t come with Quicktime so Windows Firefox may not be decoding it properly, but that doesn’t tell me why it stops on firstdefence’s Mac Firefox too.
More research needed, but in the meantime some people might not be able to watch some of the videos directly in the forum.

It plays fine for me here Garry. Using Firefox v72.0.1
Like Callum suggested, although the original poster had closed the windows they had not actually quit AP.
In general on Macs clicking the red traffic light button closes just the window not the app. But quite a few apps, including some from Apple themselves, don’t respect this old Mac convention and will in fact close the app.
This inconsistency can understandably lead to some confusion at times.

macOS 10.15.7  15" Macbook Pro, 2017  |  4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU  |  Radeon Pro 555 2GB GPU + Integrated Intel HD Graphics 630 1.536GB  |  16GB RAM  |  Wacom Intuos4 M

It seems like everyone who has posted here – except me – is using a Mac whereas I’m on Windows.
There may be an issue with the Quicktime MOV encoding not being MP4 which could be causing Firefox to not display the file properly.
Windows doesn’t come with Quicktime so Windows Firefox may not be decoding it properly, but that doesn’t tell me why it stops on firstdefence’s Mac Firefox too.
More research needed, but in the meantime some people might not be able to watch some of the videos directly in the forum.

Odd that I had that issue but the update to Firefox fixed it, so must have been a bug of some sort. Just had a look over some of the fixes from FF70 to FF72.0.1 and most relate to security and memory issues.

I’ve just checked and my Andriod Firefox won’t play the file at all.
I get a “No video with supported format and MIME type found” banner.
I’m not personally all that bothered about not seeing videos on my phone but I thought I’d add it to the mix.
I’m using version 72.0.1 of Firefox on Windows and version 68.4.1 on Android (I have a fairly old phone). Both are automatically updated.

3 hours ago, markw said:

In general on Macs clicking the red traffic light button closes just the window not the app.

Typically, clicking the red "close" button in Mac apps that can support more than one window just close that window without quitting the app. Clicking the red "close" button in apps that support only one window usually will both close the window & quit the app, but there are some that just close the window without quitting. 

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7