You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Some more exotic glyph-related IDML import issues

Hi there,

as a follow-up of my investigation into unencoded glyphs, here are some additional observations. There is an IDML (XML) context that isn’t still interpreted correctly. This is the original Indesign text frame containing some glyphs from Cambria Math and the IDML export (CS 5.5):

M-phi-phi-salt.png.5a5b861942d0f6cb4d4b8cff767c39e4.png

M-phi-phi-salt.idml

As you can see, I am using the standard phi (Unicode 03C6) from the Greek and Coptic block and phi salt (the common stylistic alternate). The IDML (XML) context for the latter one is:

IDML.png.f0aba09f2230713a519d1b37985ea29b.png

Publisher doesn’t interpret this context correctly, but displays the standard phi, not the stylistic alternate:

Publisher.png.78eacd64428d08812f97e64b56e6ab00.png

Indesign reimports the file correctly. Please have a look! :)

Alex

This issue isn’t confined to stylistic alternates. The quoted IDML context seems to be more widely used. I was just reviewing some fonts and documents, and I noticed that with some older fonts, there are also other OpenType features encoded this way during IDML export, for instance, the sups feature:

Sups.png.dff36cf3585158e7c2edc3e306a04078.png

The superior k is incorrectly rendered as a standard lowercase k in Publisher. Maybe this IDML context is some sort of fallback (old Cambria font). I have no idea. :/

• 6 months later...
  • Staff

@A_B_C

Further fixes have been made in this area since you posted in January, so we would appreciate you checking this is still performing as you expect, thank you.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.