You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo - Constrain drawing tools to straight lines

Dear Affinity Photo - This is a 3 year old thread filled with paying customers who buy your program to "replace" Photoshop. If I have to open Photoshop just to draw straight lines, then reopen a file in Affinity Photo, it's an accessory, not a replacement.

Thank you for the product, but please address this.

Hahaha! I don't think that searching for the solution how to draw a straight line would end up on this 3 years old thread, which is very active.....
Until today I keep telling everyone let's switch to Affinity, but from now on I have to add "but you can't draw a straight line lol"

A proper line tool is better but well I guess I can live with two-click straight line. I thought it would work like 99% of the art program out there but even that is insanely unintuitive to pull off. A gif just in case the devs don't realize what am I frustrating about, this line creation algorithm is far from intuitive :

code.thumb.gif.387b59f4c9591f49d51426a05ef45d5a.gif

It's a shame that this simple feature still does not exist in Affinty Photo. Please Serif, implement this as it is indeed a very handy feature. Not only for drawing straight lines, it's also useful for (manual) selections and/ or masks. Without such a feature it's a pain in the a... to draw along a straight line/ edge.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/15/2018 at 12:55 PM, Patrick Connor said:

@Lars S

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums and thanks for the thanks

Thank You, Thank You, Thank You, Thank You, Thank You, Thank You, Thank You, Thank You, Thank You, Thank You, Thank You, Thank You, Thank You, Thank You, Thank You, Thank You, Thank You, Thank You, Thank You, Thank You, Thank You, Thank You, Thank You, Thank You, Thank You, Thank You, Thank You, Thank You, Thank You, Thank You, Thank You, Thank You, Thank You, Thank You, Thank You, Thank You, Thank You, Thank You, Thank You, Thank You, Thank You, Thank You, Thank You, Thank You, Thank You, Thank You, Thank You, Thank You, Thank You, Thank You, Thank You, Thank You, Thank You, Thank You, Thank You, Thank You, Thank You, Thank You, Thank You, Thank You, Thank You, Thank You, Thank You, Thank You, Thank You, Thank You, Thank You, Thank You, Thank You, Thank You, Thank You, Thank You, Thank You, Thank You, Thank You, Thank You, Thank You, Thank You, Thank You, Thank You, Thank You, Thank You, Thank You, Thank You, Thank You, Thank You, Thank You, Thank You, Thank You, Thank You, Thank You Infinity...

Please add this :)

• 4 weeks later...

Just created an account here to say that for me this is a deal-breaker.  It's heart-breaking because I've been playing with the AP trial for an hour or two and I was so excited to have finally found a package I could use like Photoshop (but without the subscription/ridiculous price) ... and then it tripped up on this simple feature of all things.  That's pretty shocking.

Serif: Seriously, this missing feature just lost you a sale from an otherwise keen customer :'(  I'm off to look at Photoshop yearly subscription prices so that I can draw a horizontal line.

I have requested this same Tool a year ago in some other thread. Glad to see others having the same issue.

On 9/4/2018 at 12:51 PM, A_B_C said:

IPv6:

Please have in mind, that this request is not about creating a straight line with two clicks, but about constraining the movement of your drawing tool while dragging it across the canvas. And that still does not work, unfortunately. :(

This is exactly what I need. Photoshop has it, Procreate has it, and even Krita and many other no name creative softwares are having this simple but powerful tool. Also the pen tool (Line mode) is not really intuitive and only works for the pen, not the brush. Too much clicking involved. If Serif would add such tool....they would get more attention from the digital artists community (not only them). Quick Lines with the brush tool would give us the possibility to set up complex drawings/compositions in a very short time. As you have maybe heard the news from procreate: they are now offering Quick Shapes...that is insane (positively) and useful. I'm using it myself. Of course, I do not ask for the same tool like Quick Shapes. Serif: we would be happy if you would just add quick straight line function to the brush tool (without needing to double-clicking, shifting, and whatsnot). That would be a great start. ^^ 

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I was very surprised this feature was not present.

I too echo it is the simplest of tools used in photoshop since... I was a teenager...

Please add this. I cannot recommend your software without it. Is it a deal breaker? Not for me - but it is soooooooooo annoying. If I used my software more often, I think I'd pay the subscription from Adobe. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Well apparently someone at Serif does not like it (or thinks it's of low priority). But instead of ignoring all the people that have posted in this thread so far someone from Serif could post a statement explaining why this feature has not been implemented yet.

On 3/5/2019 at 6:17 PM, altae said:

But instead of ignoring all the people that have posted in this thread so far someone from Serif could post a statement explaining why this feature has not been implemented yet.

This feature is there if you care to use it.

Just click and hold the shift key and drag and you will get a straight line. So the feature is there but not as you know it. :)

2017 27” iMac 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 • Radeon Pr 580 8GB • 64GB • Ventura 13.6.4.

iPad Pro (10.5-inch) • 256GB • Version 16.4

3 hours ago, Seneca said:

This feature is there if you care to use it.

Just click and hold the shift key and drag and you will get a straight line. So the feature is there but not as you know it. :)

So, for me as a beginner - what's the trick to get a horizontal (i.e. 0°) or vertical (90°) straight line?

10 minutes ago, miczac said:

So, for me as a beginner - what's the trick to get a horizontal (i.e. 0°) or vertical (90°) straight line?

Click, hold down the shift key, don't move your mouse and click again and drag while holding down the shift key.

Done. You can drag either horizontally, or vertically.

See the short video below:

2017 27” iMac 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 • Radeon Pr 580 8GB • 64GB • Ventura 13.6.4.

iPad Pro (10.5-inch) • 256GB • Version 16.4

2 minutes ago, Seneca said:

Click, hold down the shift key, don't move your mouse and click again and drag while holding down the shift key.

Done. You can drag either horizontally, or vertically.

See the short video below:

lines.mov

Oh it works like a dream in your video! I wonder why I can't make it work, I tried to follow your instructions to the point, but it just keeps on drawing a straight line from the last point of touch (Like in 5argon's video) :52_fearful: