You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo - Constrain drawing tools to straight lines

Yes +1 for me to.. 

of course there are other more important things for me...  like the option to import printed pdf files from CAD not only as embeded vektor graphics, but as rasterised embedded and linked layers... (very very very very important for architects...)..  but this one would be welcome too.

Tom

• 1 month later...

Need this feature. Literally just looked to see how to accomplish this in Photo.

Microsoft Windows 10 Home (Build 19045)
AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @ 3.8Ghz (-30 all core +200mhz PBO); Mobo: Asus X470 Prime Pro
32GB DDR4 (3600Mhz); EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX 3080 X3C Ultra 12GB
Monitor 1 4K @ 125% due to a bug
Monitor 2 4K @ 150%
Monitor 3 (as needed) 1080p @ 100%

WACOM Intuos4 Large; X-rite i1Display Pro; NIKON D5600 DSLR

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

+1 for Holding Shift and drawing Straight Lines please.

As an illustrator who uses your Photo and Designer software daily, having the ability to draw straight lines like in PS, would be great. (hold shift and it locks to either horizontal or vertical.) Even better would be locking or snapping to the grid of your choosing

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I concur. On a similar note, Affinity Photo would highly benefit having Lazy Nezumi Pro support that has straight lines built into the plug-in. I contacted the creator of said plug-in today and the main reason given that this particular plug-in isn't able to work with AP is because of how the input coordinates are currently working inside the program. Something having to do with low-resolution mouse coordinates vs. high-resolution tablet coordinates.

I am far from an expert on the subject, so anyone with more knowledge could perhaps fill me in on what that means and what would be needed to address this issue. Affinity would greatly benefit having more 3rd party developers support this platform to ease the transition between Adobe products to Affinity for newcomers.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I've currently gone for a search and tried to +1 all the threads which mention this request, in one way or another, and finally I've come back round to this one. So perhaps I'll stop here, but just mention that I'd like to bump this feature request up to the top of the list for the devs to look at and perhaps engage in some conversation about it?

Thanks Affinity. You are awesome x Look forward to the day we can all have a beer and celebrate ;)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

@Lars S

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums and thanks for the thanks

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

• 1 month later...

i really love the things you do here with affinity - so much stuff is so neatly thought out and more convenient than in adobe products.

but this feature is so important - it really needs to be included.

im a game developer who does texturing by hand, and without the contrained movement its impossible to stack up multiple passes with a brush on an exact line.

I would also like to +1 this request. As a concept artist, illustrator and gamedev switching from Photoshop to Affinity Photo, I'm very excited for updates, but honestly I'm a little surprised to see this thread is a few years old.

• 2 weeks later...

By the way - those asking for a Lazy Nezumi type thing ... Affinity Photo has Stabilizer which works the same way - look in the middle on the brush tool bar.  

Really I am considering using a free program instead of Photo to be able to draw straight lines properly. It's called Autodesk Sketchbook pro. It has a ruler tool which is pretty quick at using and drawing straight lines, in any size pressure sensitive way you can think of.  A feature similar to this would be a winner.

Stabilizer brush tool.jpg