You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Pasting MS Word content with tracked changes

Below: Word document tracked change example 

1910242431_AsedittedinWord.png.ea36f9d48b469293ddc2d8d98f247c86.png

Below: InDesign document tracked pasted example (matches visible copy in Word) 

1476279764_PastedintoInDesign.png.9a57227d73ad4b2766ad9a2a0719339b.png

Below: Publisher document tracked pasted example (includes all the 'deleted' copy from Word) 

795964388_PastedintoPublisher.png.599280747b0a79e05c6ad22bc4165044.png

I have recently hit a new problem in my transition of workflows to Publisher that when using a tracked changes Microsoft Word document to cut and paste amends to Publisher (and Designer) it seems to bring all the detritus of the tracked changes with the word clipboard, therefore including all the deleted content that should be ignored. After working this way for many years in InDesign this has caused a couple of embarrassing slip ups - not so much in native English but in translated docs such as the example included.

So where is the problem and is there a cure?

Content pasted into InDesign appears as the corrected text in Word - obviously the desired effect, but as far as I can tell an automatic scenario and not a preference in either InD or Word.

Certainly I can find no preference or pasting method in Publisher that offers a solution. Yes I can Review and accept all changes in Word before cutting and pasting, but then I lose all indication of where the changes are/were in the Word doc, so need to have 2 word documents open to flick between.

If I'm missing a trick please let me know. If not, this is a problematic issue/bug in a regular workflow.

Mac Studio M1 Max 32GB RAM running Sonoma 14.2.1
ASUS ProArt screen and Hewlett Packard HD second screen. 
Affinity Suite 2.4.0 and Beta releases

12 hours ago, Like, would like more if… said:

Yes I can Review and accept all changes in Word before cutting and pasting, but then I lose all indication of where the changes are/were in the Word doc, so need to have 2 word documents open to flick between.

You only loose track changes if you accept the changes and save the Word document.

If you close your Word document without saving you don't loose anything.

So I would advise you to accept all the track changes copy your text to Publisher and close your Word document without saving any changes.

Currently, Publisher doesn't have any track changes facility as far as I am aware of so the solution above should not cause you any slip-ups. :-) 

2017 27” iMac 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 • Radeon Pr 580 8GB • 64GB • Ventura 13.6.4.

iPad Pro (10.5-inch) • 256GB • Version 16.4

Thanks for reply but you’ve misunderstood.

If you look at the examples you’ll see that Publisher pasted what it should leave out whereas InDesign pastes just what you want, the amended text. 

Keeping or losing changes in word is not the issue. It’s the clipboard transfer that’s not working as expected. 

24 minutes ago, Like, would like more if… said:

Thanks for reply but you’ve misunderstood.

No, you have. What @Seneca is saying is that (contrary to your assertion) you don’t need two versions of the Word document. Accept the changes so that the clipboard contents will be correct, copy the text to Publisher and then close the Word document without saving.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

I think I know that. What happens in a long document where you don’t want to replace all copy is that you copy and paste amended section only and then paste into Publisher. If you accept all charges in Word you lose all the markup, and therefore your place in the process. 

What none of you are assessing is that if you copy and paste to InDesign it ditches what you don’t want automatically. If you copy and paste into Publisher without accepting changes you get all of the junk with it. 

On 1/16/2020 at 8:03 AM, Like, would like more if… said:

Certainly I can find no preference or pasting method in Publisher that offers a solution. Yes I can Review and accept all changes in Word before cutting and pasting, but then I lose all indication of where the changes are/were in the Word doc, so need to have 2 word documents open to flick between

Not having Word I can't test this, but from experience with copying and pasting such text from LibreOffice into Firefox a simpler workaround might be to simply tell Word not to display the markups, then copy the text.

No need to accept anything; just don't display the markups.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Not quite @walt.farrell but I've run some tests and found out that this is achievable, however not in the way that is clearly accepted by InDesign.

Not a programmer or delver into any kind of code I've been experimenting with Word's options which made absolutley no difference to how InDesign pasted the content, but if using Publisher you need to ensure that the settings in Word are Review > Tracking >Track Changes = On.

With track changes ON the edited/altered or deleted content does not get dumped into Publisher so my normal workflow can resume.

I can see what's changed in Word, select and copy just that and paste into Publisher exactly as the editor intended. 

297529268_Screenshot2020-01-17at16_46_04.png.3c2c461ff788138cf8f186a0bbcc0db5.png

Thanks for your attention all, hopefully this may stop another confused soul from tearing their hair out!

• 2 months later...
  • Staff

Sorry.

Thank you for reporting a problem using 1.7.x . It appears that a member of the Affinity QA team didn't get round to fully investigating this specific report posted in the bugs forums. We are very sorry for this oversight. Yours is one of a number of reports that I am posting this apology to, using an automated script.

Now we have released 1.8.3 on all platforms containing many hundreds of bug fixes, and we hope your problem has already been fully addressed. If you still have this problem in the 1.8.3 release build, then the QA team would really appreciate you reporting again it in the relevant Bugs forum.

Each of those links above contains instructions how best to report a bug to us. If that is what you already did in this thread just copy paste your original report into a new thread. We appreciate all the information that you have including sample files and screen shots to help us replicate your problem.

This thread has now been locked as the QA team are not following the threads to which this automatic reply is made, which is why we would appreciate a new bug report if you are still have this problem in the current 1.8.3 release build.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon