You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Vector Crop Tool > increases layer transparency

v531. The crop tool improvement mentioned in the update list for v531 reminded me to the opacity issue with the crop tool. Unfortunately it still occurs:

A crop tool layer seems to double a transparency value assigned to its content. Regardless whether vector shape or pixel image. See in this video the black rectangle, set to 50% opacity, gets lighter as soon the crop tool starts masking:

It might confuse even more that the unwanted effect does *not* appear in an exported PDF (print preset):   v531 crop tool opacity.pdf

... but is visible in a JPG :   1726465041_v531croptoolopacity.jpg.9be3833cda495cd49abb818cb341a6fa.jpg

All files (afpub + exports) of this sample use same cmyk space/profile.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

3 hours ago, Sean P said:

As a workaround you can add your object to a group and then apply the crop to the group. The transparency on any objects inside the group will be left alone.

As a workaround it might appear more attractive to use a Picture Frame instead the Vector Crop Tool. This creates only 1 instead 2 additional layers.
(while both type of objects demand different workflows in further handling, too)

1708828360_cropping-cropvspictframe.thumb.jpg.ffdb23d64a325b5ddf8ab90a2d07d777.jpg

• Staff
47 minutes ago, thomaso said:

As a workaround it might appear more attractive to use a Picture Frame instead the Vector Crop Tool

This is true, however your original post was specifically referring to the Vector Crop Tool with a Rectangle and made no mention of an Image layer. Both are valid workarounds depending on what needs to be achieved.

@Sean P, yes, of cause. Now you make me wonder by mentioning the image in particular. – Since the Picture Frame also can contain a vector shape or even a bunch of un-grouped * objects, regardless of vector and/or pixel content. To me both these tools are meant to crop only and just differ in their way of layering and further workflow.

Or do I miss an important difference between Vector Crop versus Picture Frame Tool?
Is there anything I can't create with one but with the other only?

* Edited: since the crop tool demands a group for more than 1 item.

• 1 year later...

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.