You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[Beta 531(!!)] Over-eager spellcheck-preflight

Nice to have the new Beta, and I noticed the Preflight had gotten smarter.

However, there are a few problems which you can see in the screenshot:

• 'meet' is flagged as wrong spelling, apparently because it's surrounded by single quotes
  • trickier: O-Ryong is a name (Korean transliterated). I could allow Ryong, but really I'd like to spell-check O-Ryong. Can you provide a way? Asian names not being uncommon in our globality...
  • 'Have is flagged as wrong spelling, apparently because it's preceded by a single quote, as part of a longer string

The  Non-proportional Scaling flags I'll have to look at -- I didn't think the pix in the doc were, but could be you caught something. Or, it's to do with how I adjusted them in, via Design...we'll see

over-eager-spell-preflight.png

For the spelling issues (which are not necessarily due to preflight, as spellchecking is a separate function), I think you'll find that it would work if you had used typographic (curved) quote marks.

The issue with straight quotes and spelling was reported previously, I believe.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Walt, thanks for your thoughts.

I tried typographic quotes, and indeed spell-check does recognise ordinary words correctly if those are used.

• We still do need it to work properly with ordinary single or double quotes...typographic are often not used for reason, if sometimes also used.
  • However, there doesn't seem any way to automatically change to typographic quotes. I had to manually edit, with the typopgraphic auto-correct turned on. I think this has been raised before, but there really should be a feature to mass-edit a document and change quote styles. This is particularly needed for any imported text, or text from an editorial app like ProWritingAid. So I hope it is on a (soon) feature-to-be-implimented list!
  • As I think you note, this method doesn't help with hyphenated name spell checking. I think this is a must feature itself. We have such names just in English or other cultures, and as importantly, perhaps even more so, need to spell-check transliterated Asian etc. names. All of these have hyphens. I
  • Recognizing hyphenated names etc. would add a slight complication only to a spell checker: that it recognize part-of-hyphenated words themselves, or over-ride when the entire hyphenated group is a match.

I think that covers it, and hope I am reporting in the correct place to get necessary features added to Publisher.

Which is shaping up to be very useful indeed -- I keep InDesign CS6 still, with good practice, but it's not going to get any security updates, etc., so as with Design and Photo, I'm very happy to have purchased the Affinity tools. And not least for how well they work, often with a lot of cleverness that works, compared to their predecessors.

Appreciated,
Clive

...changed the title to the fresh version I was actually testing.

As well, noted one more reason to have an action for mass-changing quote styles.

In  my testing, I'd manually rewritten each quote with automatic typographic preference set, which is what you tediously have to do now. And then when looking again, see I'd already missed one.

This is bound to happen, without automation to be sure all are covered. 

And it also points up that the spelling error occurs when only one of the quotes is not the typographic curly sort...

Thanks again for attention on these things,
Clive

• 3 weeks later...
  • Staff

@narrationsd Straight and typographic quotes shouldn't be causing spell check to fail.

I've just reproduced this, it affects Windows and not Mac and is likely related to hunspell, I'll get this logged for us to look into further.

Thanks for the report!

Serif Europe Ltd. - www.serif.com

Sure -- quotes.afpub, attached, which should explain itself:

• typographic quotes -- seem not to interrupt spelling now
  • plain simple quotes -- Do still make words fail for spelling
  • I haven't seen that there's yet a way to automatically go through selected or all text, and change the quoting style, which means I still have to retype every instance, with appropriately different auto-correct settings...
  • big type so the situations for results are easy to see

Thanks,

Clive 

52 minutes ago, narrationsd said:

I haven't seen that there's yet a way to automatically go through selected or all text, and change the quoting style, which means I still have to retype every instance, with appropriately different auto-correct settings...

You can use Find/Replace, and you could make some assumptions (which will sometimes be wrong, of course) that:

• <space>' should be <space><left-curly quote>
  • '<space> should be <right-curly-quote><space>
  • other occurrences of ' should be <right-curly-quote>
  • and probably others that you will discover as you work through your text.

Do not use Replace All. Work through them one by one, for safety.

Edit: Or, in 1.8 beta, have two Replace strings, a left-curly-quote and a right-curly-quote. Find a straight quote, then choose the appropriate Replace string from the pulldown for each one that is found.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

hmm. Thanks, Walt, I understand as from an old school.

I thought InDesign solved this, but especially with language culture/punctuation differences, found they didn't.

I did locate an intriguing article, where some of the suggestions are quite good at least for English varieties.

https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign/how-to-globally-change-straight-double-quotes-to-curly-open-and-close/td-p/4341351?page=1

Since Affinity does do regular expressions(!), I'm most drawn to the simplest: a Unicode single character replace all, where you replace the quote mark with itself, but with the right kind defaulted in preferences.

This way no assumptions need be made about surrounding text.

I guess Affinity could implement this as an internal, but then they'd have to explain where it doesn't work..unless there are other REs that cover those other situations.

Cheers for your week-end...

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.