You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Is it possible to unlock the range of parameters?

For example with the star tool, the point count is locked to 48. Is it possible to disable these restrictions? It seems some parameters' range is a "recommendation", such as the gaussian blur size where you can type whatever you want, but would I need to do some kind of hack if I want to have a star with 49+ points?

Welcome to the forums.
Some parameters can’t be overridden as far as I know.
In some you can give a higher (or lower) value than is presented by the slider but some don’t allow it.
Unfortunately there’s no visual indication as to which can be overridden, you just have to try it and see.
In this particular case however – that of the Star Tool – you can use the Double Star Tool instead to get twice as many points.

But that just seems silly, why should serif give arbitrary artistic limitations? I know that at a certain point it would become very slow and probably have numerical errors, but then the limit should be something like 1000 or something. We're not kids, we can handle ourselves... Some day even the double star tool won't have enough points for me.
Also, the cog tool doesn't have a limit, and that tool is more complex than the star tool, so there really shouldn't ever be a limit.

3 minutes ago, Steffenvy said:

so there really shouldn't ever be a limit.

If there were no limits what incentive would you have to buy Version 2.0 :ph34r:

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

Maybe this 48 point star limit is a PC-only limitation? I ask because I had no trouble creating this 300 point star.afdesign file using AD 1.7.3 on my Mac.

EDIT: I also have created stars with as many as 1000 points.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

When I open that file it does show 300 but if I try to change the count then it's clamped

My version is 1.7.3.481 windows

I did download it as a trial version and then paid for it, if that would make a difference.

Edited by Steffenvy

• Staff
7 minutes ago, R C-R said:

Maybe this 48 point star limit is a PC-only limitation?

That does seem to be the case and i've no idea why.  Can't see it logged here as a bug either.  I'll see if i can get comment from the QA/Dev team.

@Steffenvy I'll update here shortly with an answer, it's possible there's a reason for this limit but it's also possible its a bug, as there seems to be no restrictions on Mac, you just type in 100 and get a 100 point star as the result. 

10 minutes ago, Steffenvy said:

Btw the limit is also for cloud, square star, polygon, and double star.

Again, not on my Mac. Just to make sure it isn't limited to one Affinity app, I initially created lots of points.afdesign in Affinity Photo & then edited & saved it in Affinity Designer.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

@stokerg It was reported before. But in the mass of posts this could be easily overseen. To make you read the feedback, I am going to post everything into the bug sections. :D

I do not know the internals, but maybe a forum script is not the best to keep track of bugs / requests?

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

• Staff
15 minutes ago, Joachim_L said:

It was reported before. But in the mass of posts this could be easily overseen

Thanks for the link to the thread :) 

15 minutes ago, Joachim_L said:

To make you read the feedback, I am going to post everything into the bug sections.

Please don't do that :) As we will just end up moving the post to another part of the Forums.  Bugs is only to be used for bug reports/possible bugs.  Feature Requests and General Questions belong in their correct sections on the Forums. Either way, every ticket/post we get is read by someone here.

As for this issue, looks like we had something logged against the Cog shape which had the same issue and was fixed.  QA have just re-opened the issue with the Dev team and added the other shapes that have this issue :) 

• Staff
3 minutes ago, Joachim_L said:

Don't worry, this was not meant serious.

I didn't think it was :D but just wanted to be sure.  Also i notice that post was in the Feedback, for general questions about the app, you are better posting in the General Questions section of the Forums as that will ensure you get a reply.  Posts in Feature Requests with general questions can get missed at times.

FWIW, while the Mac desktop apps do not have these limits, the iPad versions do. (I only checked with AD for iPad but I assume the same is true for AP for iPad.)

Affinity Photo 

Feature Requests, Suggestions & Ideas

If you have any suggestions about how to make our apps better, please post them here. We read every idea which is posted, and in fact since launching Affinity we have added 100s of new features and improvements based on customer feedback

From your forum description. Sometimes I am uncertain, if it is a bug, a feature, by design, an improvement or else. Affinity on Desktop Questions is too wide-spread for me. Is it for Mac? Yes -> Read first, then move on. Is it for Windows -> Read first, perhaps I can answer. But this is just my point of view, so no problem.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

• Staff
6 minutes ago, R C-R said:

FWIW, while the Mac desktop apps do not have these limits, the iPad versions do. (I only checked with AD for iPad but I assume the same is true for AP for iPad.)

Just checked our logging system and looks like we have this logged on the iPad with the Cog tool.  I'll update the report with other tools effected.

@Joachim_L If you are ever unsure where to post, post in Questions and we can move it if need be :) 

38 minutes ago, Joachim_L said:

From your forum description. Sometimes I am uncertain, if it is a bug, a feature, by design, an improvement or else. Affinity on Desktop Questions is too wide-spread for me. Is it for Mac? Yes -> Read first, then move on. Is it for Windows -> Read first, perhaps I can answer. But this is just my point of view, so no problem.

It was reasonable and appropriate to make your post about this in Feature Requests, Joachim, before we knew that Mac did not have the same limit. It would not have been appropriate (in my opinion) to post it initially as a bug, because there is a difference between limits and bugs.

Once we knew that Mac does not have the limit, it becomes a bug as the Mac and Windows versions are supposed to work the same.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1