You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Preflight Warning Level tooltips

In the Preflight studio, the tooltips that appears when hovering over the warning level buttons "Disabled," "Warning," and "Error" simply repeat the button names. An improvement could be a concise explanation of what they do, as the user might be curious about the difference of warning and error. Which, by the way, I am. Is the primary difference that "error" will bring up an error message on print and export, while "warning" will just make note in the panel and the status icon?

This is my first time to really play with the Preflight Studio, and I am really excited about it. Here are a few observations:

With a little experimenting, it seems that choosing the warning level "warning" will cause a yellow notice in the preflight studio, but the status bar icon remains green. I suggest the status bar also (optionally?) indicates yellow warnings.

Naming one of the "warning level" options as "warning" is going to cause some confusion or ambiguities in help manuals and online discussions, which I discovered when trying to indicate above that the warning level I had chosen was warning. I suggest alternate terminology, such as "notice" for the mid-level warning option.

It would be nice to be able to dismiss warnings. To give an example, let's say I have activated the Proportional Scaling warning, and in my document I have one particular image that I have intentionally scaled disproportionately, while all other images I have not done so. I would naturally expect to get a warning about that one image, but it would be good if I could somehow "dismiss" or maybe "check off" that warning to indicate that I acknowledge that particular issue was intentional, while still allowing the test to continue to be active, lest I accidentally do the same on another image where I did not want it.

The "Error" level could be expanded to give an error alert on print only, on export only, or both (and maybe others in the future?). I actually have a real use for this in mind. I sometimes help out thin fonts in print by a very light stroke on the letters. However, I want to remove these strokes before exporting, as it greatly increases the PDF file size and causes its display to be less-than-ideal, depending on the PDF reader. I can imagine creating one of those nifty preflight comments on an object that would bring up an error alert to remind me to turn off strokes when I export, but it would leave me alone when I print.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Staff

With a little experimenting, it seems that choosing the warning level "warning" will cause a yellow notice in the preflight studio, but the status bar icon remains green. I suggest the status bar also (optionally?) indicates yellow warnings.

This should be fixed in the latest beta

The "Error" level could be expanded to give an error alert on print only, on export only, or both (and maybe others in the future?). I actually have a real use for this in mind. 

The Check status of Never/Export/Live kind of covers this, we may be able to look at adding more in the future if there's a good case for it, the idea of certain preflight checks only triggering at certain stages is something I can pass on.

The "Error" level could be expanded to give an error alert on print only, on export only, or both (and maybe others in the future?). I actually have a real use for this in mind. 

This should also be fixed in the latest beta

Serif Europe Ltd. - www.serif.com

1 hour ago, Jon P said:

This should also be fixed in the latest beta

@Jon P You quoted the same portion of my text twice, and I suspect that you may have meant a different portion the second time. Would you mind confirming which portion you were referring to when you said, "This should also be fixed in the latest beta." I look forward to confirming.

As always, thank you for considering and interacting with our feedback. That is truly one of the most encouraging indications about the long-term viability of the Affinity apps.

7 hours ago, Jon P said:

(...) a yellow notice in the preflight studio, but the status bar icon remains green. I suggest the status bar also (optionally?) indicates yellow warnings.

This should be fixed in the latest beta

@Garett, I had reported these irritations with the toolbar icon – to me those were fixed with beta v535 (Jan 23). (current is v549)

Note:  The toolbar icon is meant by design to react only if you have activated the permanent preflight (button "Live"). – With setting "Export" the toolbar icon remains gray, regardless of any warning message  and color in the panel once preflight gets auto-activated on export.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

5 hours ago, garrettm30 said:

I have verified that the two fixes you refer to are resolved in 549, namely 1) yellow status icon now shows when appropriate, and 2) tool tips for the warning levels are now sufficiently helpful.

I did notice just now that the tooltips don't always show when hovering. I found I had to scroll the preflight window up and down several times in order to get the tooltips to show again after double-clicking on one of them. Happened several times, although not every time I tried, so not sure what the "formula" is for it to happen.

--------------------

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2020 i7 72GB) • AMD Radeon Pro 5700 XT 16 GB • macOS Ventura
MacBook Pro, 13", M1 2020 • 16 GB • macOS Ventura
iPad Air 2022

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.