You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

A question about changing sky color

Hello there,

I've watched a couple of tutorials on changing sky color, but can't seem to get a realistic effect on the attached image. I think the problem is that some of the window frame is washed out.

Hoping someone might have a suggestion on what to do. Just want to make it very pale, light blue, like a sunny day in the city.

Thank you so much for any help. Hope everyone is doing great.

Chriscorner_pic-min.thumb.jpg.0bab8296c7d8eeab37219af00ebfb2d6.jpg

First thing to do is paint over these parts.

1249360724_ScreenShot2020-01-15at08_59_21.png.535649be11b65a4a3bde9d8ad9e67f1f.png

next make a neat selection of the glass and refine the selection by adding a 3px feather, this should give the highlighted edges of the window frame a colour cast added sky.

1007807963_ScreenShot2020-01-15at09_17_10.thumb.png.32b35b1366cedddfdeb668c3f3ae25c4.png

I changed the layer blend mode to average, and dropped the opacity to 54%, the window still retains that light glow you get from bright sunlight but now with a bit of colour and a faint hint of clouds.

This is the sky I used
dane-deaner-ZwD7dz5xH-U-unsplash.thumb.jpg.303fc12226f2bec17dee40c5256b4832.jpg

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Brilliant as always firstdefence. I'm so grateful for the quick response, too. It's almost 3am here in Arizona and I'm been trying figure this out. Thank you so much.

Do you have a finished file that I can actually download in addition to the tutorial? This is so helpful. Finally, I can sleep....!

There you go, the latter part of the history is the one that got the finish I thought was best: edited.afphoto Saved with history so you can jog back and forth in the history panel. 

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Thank you. I was trying to be sure that I understood about "painting over these parts." I first tried just using the selection brush, but it was tricky because of the faded out parts of the window frame. Again, thank you for this help. What great time we live in, that I could just reach out across the world and get instant help at this hour. Just amazing.

Digital neighbours, it's freaky.