You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

how to set color as transparent

How do I set a color as transparent in Affinity Designer? I have spent a couple of hours now reading the docs, watching the tutorials, and searching the forums, but nothing I have found has given me the answer. Can someone help please?

I have an image with a black logo on a white background which loads as one layer. (I tried importing it in its native .ai format and as .png but I can't get either format to work.)

I want the background to be transparent. I have tried Designer Persona and Pixel Persona and I have tried changing the opacity of the color selector and the opacity of the layer. I tried changing the layer's blend options (via the Studio Layers gear icon) but that made the black logo transparent. I tried changing the blend mode (Normal, Multiply, etc.). Oddly, when I select the Layers tab menu item Checkerboard Background, the layer in the Studio view displays the logo correctly on a checkerboard background, but the main document still shows white and exporting confirms that's what it still is. 

In GraphicConverter it's simple: all I have to do is select the transparency tool and click on the white background and it becomes transparent.

I was able to do it by first creating a second document with transparent layer turned off from the start, going back to the other file and copying the logo object and pasting it in, and that worked.

But there must be a way in Affinity Designer to change the original file to be transparent, no? Thanks. 

That solved it. Thank you for your quick response!

Please also add that to the documentation. Right now when you search on "transparency" a lot of documentation is listed that doesn't include this which leads to a lot of frustrating experimentation. For example, the top response doesn't mention "background" or "document setup":

Transparency

Transparency can be applied in lots of ways in Affinity Designer.

Here are the typical methods for its use.

• As solid Opacity, applied to strokes, fills and brush strokes.
  • As a transparency gradient, again applied to either stroke or fill.
  • As layer opacity.
  • As a layer effect property. 

• 11 months later...

I'm afraid this solution didn't work at all for me.  I've got a piece of line art with a white background. Absolutely nothing I have done will separate the background. I've followed video tutorials, have the background set to Transparent (as evidenced by the gray checkerboard on my screen). I've rasterized, selected my color (black), punched the "Mask" button in the Layers toolbox... and although it creates a new masked layer, nothing actually changes. The white background never disappears to reveal the gray checkerboard. The exported PNG, despite selecting "Transparent background" and only the Selected Item, still comes back with a black image on a solid white background.

In Publisher Pro, which I swear was a progenitor to this package, it was a simple two click operation. It literally had a button called "Select Transparent Color". I've been working with Affinity for two years, and this has been my constant, brutal frustration. I will literally walk to another building to fire up my old PC and use Publisher Pro to make a background go away because I simply cannot figure out how to do it in Affinity. 

Help me Obi Wan Kenobi. You're my only hope.

Make sure that your layer is a pixel layer (rasterise if necessary). Then use the Flood Selection Tool, with the Contiguous box unticked, to select the white background. Then click on delete.

John

Edited by John Rostron
Corrcted error in tool name

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

Thank you for this. It worked perfectly... up until I hit "delete" and the entire image vanished.  Now when I go back in I can't replicate the Flood Fill Tool effect where it selected the white area. Open a whole new project, repeat the exact same steps, get no response now to the exact same sequence of commands.

I now have my assistant in here watching me. We're both laughing and crying at the screen, her because it's absurd, and me because I now have a witness and I feel like I'm not going quite so insane.

I'm working on a 2015 iMac. 

For the record, I've watched an Adobe tutorial that explained how to use the Brush Selection tool, and I finally got that to work. I need to fine tune the process, but at least it's a start. Your process sounds much quicker and easier, so I"d like to figure it out for future reference.

The Flood Fill Tool (paint bucket) fills an area. What you want is the Flood Selection Tool (magic wand).

Please see my post below for alternative ways to make the white background transparent:

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

1 hour ago, Apseom said:

I know the exact button you're talking about... but it's not on my toolbar! Talk about a cursed project!

I don't think you've said what Affinity application you're using (and, by the way, there are no progenitors to any of them; they are brand new applications).

However, the Flood Select Tool is only in Photo, and of the Photo Persona in Publisher.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1