You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Implement Page Up and Page Down key operation

Might it be possible to arrange for the Page Up and Page Down keys on a windows keyboard to permit scrolling up and down the document a page at a time, as it does on PagePlus?

This would be a handy way to flick through a document to check that everything is in order prior to export. A lot easier than using a scroll bar.

Currently using release 1.7.3.481 on windows desktop and laptop.

You can remap the existing shortcuts from CTRL+PageDown to simply PageDown. You find it under Preferences -> Keyboard Shortcuts -> Type Pulldown = Document.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

I have done what Joachim has suggested (except that I am on a Mac), but I notice that the new shortcuts do not work when editing text. It only works if one is working outside of a text frame. Does anyone know a way to address this limitation? Serif, is this something that could be fixed?

15 hours ago, garrettm30 said:

Does anyone know a way to address this limitation?

This is not a limitation.

You are not limited to the Control key only.

Please try Option + PageUp and Option  + ageDown to remap these shortcuts.

You could also try Command+Shift+PageUp, Command+Shift+PageDown as an alternative.

This will be more familiar to people coming from inDesign.

2017 27” iMac 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 • Radeon Pr 580 8GB • 64GB • Ventura 13.6.4.

iPad Pro (10.5-inch) • 256GB • Version 16.4

garrettm30 is right. And it is a limitation if you need (any) modifier to get it work everywhere. In Indesign you jump (default shortcut) always through the pages with PageUp/PageDown with no modifier, irrelevant of the currently used tool.

I can't observe any effect the shortcut PageUp/PageDown has on a text frame. Do you? So I would call this a bug.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

16 hours ago, garrettm30 said:

Does anyone know a way to address this limitation?

Pressing Esc should take you out of text-editing mode, and enable PageDown to work. But it may be easier just to use the default shortcut :)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Thank you for your answers. So I understand that there is no way around this limitation at present. These keys cannot be mapped to do as the keys are named without also using modifiers, unless one is out of text edit mode. And I do not understand why that should be, because they serve no purpose while in text edit mode except to play the system alert sound.

Like I said before. There is no limitation there.

What about keyboards without extended key set where there is no key up or key dow. How is this supposed to work? Because of that you have the option to remap this key to any shortcut you want.

And on a Mac inDesign doesn't understand page up or page down keys.

So it's not as universal as you make it to be.

2017 27” iMac 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 • Radeon Pr 580 8GB • 64GB • Ventura 13.6.4.

I don't know why InDesign needs to come into it here. It does work in MS Word, Pages, Safari, etc. Whether it works or not in other apps doesn't matter, as we are leaving feedback for Publisher.

23 minutes ago, Seneca said:

What about keyboards without extended key set where there is no key up or key dow. How is this supposed to work? Because of that you have the option to remap this key to any shortcut you want.

Whether the key is on every keyboard is also irrelevant. I have a Page Up key on my keyboard, and I cannot remap that key "to any shortcut want" as you claim. The shortcut I want it to do is Page Up, but it is limited to only doing that with the additional use of a modifier. That, by definition, is a limitation.

Note, "limitation" does not necessarily mean "fault" (everything that is not infinite is limited in some way). I cannot judge whether or not it is a reasonable limitation, because I don't know the technical reasons why it does not currently work. But it is a limitation nonetheless, and it does not seem unfair to offer as feedback the request that this limitation be considered by the developers.

5 minutes ago, garrettm30 said:

I don't know why InDesign needs to come into it here

I mentioned inDesign here because some upstream mentioned that it works in inDesign.

Anyway, I was talking from the top of my head up until now.

But this time I decided to remap the page up and page down keys to what you want and it works at least on a Mac.

So the limitation to are taking about doesn't exist at least on a Mac.

I also am working on a Mac (macOS 10.14.6). If it is working on yours, then I would like to either find out what I am doing wrong or report a bug. Just to confirm, do you find that mapping the page up function to the Page Up key without any modifier does work when you are editing text in a text frame?

4 minutes ago, Seneca said:

I mentioned inDesign here because some upstream mentioned that it works in inDesign.

Just to clarify, this does work in InDesign as a custom shortcut, which is how I use it. I am trying to set the same custom shortcut in Publisher. I am not asking to change the default shortcut for everyone.

Hi @garrettm30,

Well, it works for me here. I created text frames on master pages and it works and then I tried it on text boxes created on pages and it works.

I've just downloaded the latest Publisher beta and I tried on that and it works.

8 minutes ago, garrettm30 said:

Just to confirm, do you find that mapping the page up function to the Page Up key without any modifier does work when you are editing text in a text frame?

When editing in a text frame NO. When editing in a text frame the home and end keys go to the beginning or end of the line the text cursor is in. The page up/down give the system beep. I doubt that I would want to go up one or more pages if I were editing text. I just see myself making too many mistakes that way.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

@Seneca I have tried in the newly released beta (531), and my custom shortcut does work as I desired. I have both 1.7.3 and 1.8.0.531 opened at the same time, with the same document opened. I have attempted to try the same conditions in both versions, and it does not work in 1.7.3 while it does work as expected in beta 531.

There may be a bug, but for the moment I am content on this issue, knowing that the upcoming releases should have fixed whatever "problem" there might have been.

@Old Bruce Thank you for confirming what I have observed. I assume you were testing in a release version? As to preference, for me I feel that the page up/down buttons are sufficiently far away from the main part of the keyboard that I should not have any or many accidental keypresses, and if I do, it just changes the view rather than introduces changes. That's just my preference, and I am glad to hear other perspectives such as yours. It helps us appreciate how extensive the customizable shortcuts are.

1 minute ago, garrettm30 said:

@Old Bruce Thank you for confirming what I have observed. I assume you were testing in a release versio

Yes that was in the 1.7 release version. I just tried in the new beta (today's version) and it looks like what you want is available. Much to my surprise. However the home and end keys have different functionality while in text editing mode, looks like an over-ride for leading when using the command or option key. I shall have to train myself again.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

On 1/14/2020 at 1:52 PM, Joachim_L said:

You can remap the existing shortcuts from CTRL+PageDown to simply PageDown. You find it under Preferences -> Keyboard Shortcuts -> Type Pulldown = Document.

Thanks Joachim. I have successfully edited the shortcuts on my Desktop. Interestingly, though, I cannot get even the default (CTRL+PageDown) setting to work on my windows laptop, despite its having keys clearly marked PgUp and PgDn. These work fine with Adobe Acrobat Reader, but not Publisher, and I cannot use them to edit the default settings either. Has anyone else come across a problem like this and found a solution?

12 hours ago, microjez said:

Interestingly, though, I cannot get even the default (CTRL+PageDown) setting to work on my windows laptop, despite its having keys clearly marked PgUp and PgDn.

Are you sure they are 'real' PageDown keys? On laptops they sometimes need an additional 'Fn' key to access that functionality.

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

2 hours ago, dominik said:

Are you sure they are 'real' PageDown keys? On laptops they sometimes need an additional 'Fn' key to access that functionality.

d.

I checked it using Adobe Reader and it worked fine without the function key pressed, so I assumed that it was working like any normal pgdn/pgup key. However, since you raise the question, I tried it in Word, and this does require the function key to be pressed. I can now make it work in Publisher if I press function key and Ctrl (and no doubt I can change the default using the function key as well), so many thanks for your help with that!