You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

1 hour ago, Marko700 said:

how to put "UNDO" (ctrl + z) button on the ribbon  ?

Do you mean "on the toolbar"?

If so, you can't. It is available only via the menu or the keyboard shortcut.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 2 years later...

Well its been 2 years since this post and they still can not put the Undo/Redo buttons on the tool bar.

Its these stupid things that I keep Opening back up my Serif Page Plus X9 and get the job done quickly and way more easily then Affinity.

Its also been 2 years of owning Affinity and not learning it because I keep going to PagePlus. Its Frustrating.

11 minutes ago, timrxnj said:

Well its been 2 years since this post and they still can not put the Undo/Redo buttons on the tool bar.

If you keep the History studio panel open you will have one click undo/redo.

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.0 for macOS Sonoma 14.4, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

5 hours ago, MikeTO said:

If you keep the History studio panel open you will have one click undo/redo.

More than that, you have immediate access to multiple undos & redos.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• 3 months later...

So Serif want us to keep the history panel open and on top of any other panels.  This is really annoying.  I completely agree with the previous post that Page Plus was much easier to work with from this perspective.  Ctr-Z is useful, but it means letting go of the mouse.  Just because Photoshop denies us this function does not mean that Serif has to follow suit.

I keep wondering what it is about the software that prevents this feature to be available.  The history panel is able to store all actions so it should be possible to make this work with two icons. 

Is there some logic behind this that I have missed?  Or is it some GUI designer's personal peeve that we do not deserve the function?

Surely this could be a "customisation" option for the tool bar so that the designer will not be offended by seeing them.

26 minutes ago, thomas.dahl said:

Ctr-Z is useful, but it means letting go of the mouse

Are you left-handed? I was confused by your comment at first, I can easily type Ctrl+Z without letting go of the mouse but then I realized that is because I'm right-handed. I hadn't realized that the handy ZXCVB shortcuts were more convenient for right-handed people.

However, you could assign a different shortcut key to Undo that you could use with your right hand if you choose

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.0 for macOS Sonoma 14.4, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

48 minutes ago, thomas.dahl said:

Or is it some GUI designer's personal peeve

At least on mac / in macOS these toolbar buttons form the File or the Edit menu (like Undo, Copy, Paste, Cut, New, Print, ...) aren't familiar and simply not common nor mentioned by Apple's Interface Design Guideline. From that perspective it is not at all a personal Affinity peeve.

I rather wonder why the History panel has a minimum height of 6 entries but can't get reduced to the slider only. Also a Click on the slider's handle could cause one Undo step with every single click.

412051860_historypanelminimumheight.jpg.02545685819888b6c5a1c033ce3b9663.jpg

In contrast, this post below make me wonder why the undo command has to be used so often that it seems more efficient not to use Affinity at all:

On 2/18/2022 at 6:54 PM, timrxnj said:

(...) still can not put the Undo/Redo buttons on the tool bar.
Its these stupid things that I keep Opening back up my Serif Page Plus X9 and get the job done quickly and way more easily then Affinity.

There, the "job" seems to be mainly "undoing" – which seems rather strange to me, not only but especially in an application for "creating" things.

7 minutes ago, MikeTO said:

I hadn't realized that the handy ZXCVB shortcuts were more convenient for right-handed people.

Do they, in general? If the right hand keeps the mouse then the left and would press the keys. In that case only QAYXCV feel convenient to me while I'd prefer to press ZBN etc with the right hand, always using my thumb for the modifier key (e.g. CMD) and disliking the need to cross my fingers. So I'd never say shortcuts would be easier for left- or right-handers – in particular for Undo / CMD Z on a German keyboard where Z is horizontally centred, with CMD on both sides of the space key.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

6 minutes ago, thomaso said:

At least on mac / in macOS these toolbar buttons form the File or the Edit menu (like Undo, Copy, Paste, Cut, New, Print, ...) aren't familiar and simply not common nor mentioned by Apple's Interface Design Guideline. From that perspective it is not at all a personal Affinity peeve.

Since there is a discussion about Windows, the above arguments about macOS are quite out.
It is really sad that Serif has not been able to do this easy implementation of the requirement from tablet users and users with disabilities, for whom keyboard shortcuts are a great complication.

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

11 minutes ago, Pšenda said:

It is really sad that Serif has not been able to do this easy implementation of the requirement from tablet users and users with disabilities, for whom keyboard shortcuts are a great complication.

If for whatever reason it is difficult to use keyboard shortcuts, it is still possible to use the Edit menu with a mouse for undo/redo, & in some cases quicker to use the History panel, particularly when one needs or wants to undo/redo several steps at once.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

13 minutes ago, Pšenda said:

Since there is a discussion about Windows, the above arguments about macOS are quite out.

As far I know Affinity prefers the approach to develop & deliver 1 common interface for Windows and macOS. So the notes above about macOS might possibly have influenced the current UI decision.

(btw: what makes this thread a discussion about Windows, excluding macOS?)

3 minutes ago, thomaso said:

(btw: what makes this thread a discussion about Windows, excluding macOS?)

Maybe more to the point, for either platform what makes it so important to have these toolbar buttons vs. assignable keyboard shortcuts & a dedicated History panel? Like the Affinity apps, Photoshop does not have those buttons, & that does not seem to generate many complaints from its much larger user base.

Affinity Photo 

1 hour ago, R C-R said:

does not seem to generate many complaints from its much larger user base.

Interesting which forums thread a quick search shows as the 2nd result: After the first response by a staff member of that software company to the topic "How can I customize the toolbar to show undo button??" the OP replied, the missing Undo-button would be a "deal breaker" and he would be a "hard-core coder".

1309616941_Howtoundobuttonadobe.jpg.27250b1eb2b8d4844112bd4ff64c9df0.jpg

This again makes me wonder. This time not only about workflows which seem to require massive undoing but in particular why a coder prefers a mouse action for undoing, – while I'd expect a coder wouldn't use a mouse a lot but mainly type code with the keyboard. Any hints?

4 minutes ago, thomaso said:

Interesting which forums thread a quick search shows as the 2nd result:

I did not do an extensive search but my point is the number of complaints about this missing feature in PS seems quite small compared to the size of that app's huge user base. I can only guess about why that is, but I suspect it is because once users start using apps with History panels (like PS or Affinity) using those 'one-step-at-a-time' buttons just doesn't seem that appealing.

25 minutes ago, v_kyr said:

Shouldn't be a big deal to add two additional undo/redo icon buttons to the UI toolbar & tools customizations.

Probably not that big a deal, but I wonder how many users would actually add them to the limited available space in the toolbar before other, more frequently used items get pushed off into the >> supplemental menu.

Affinity Photo 

2 hours ago, R C-R said:

... but I wonder how many users would actually add them to the limited available space in the toolbar before other, more frequently used items get pushed off into the >> supplemental menu.

Those who demand and have an urgent need for it!

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

1 hour ago, v_kyr said:

Those who demand and have an urgent need for it!

But in reality about how many would that be? Ten, one hundred, ten thousand, what?

Besides, what qualifies as an "urgent need"? If the need for these buttons really is urgent, then why don't apps like PS have them? 

Affinity Photo 

9 minutes ago, R C-R said:

But in reality about how many would that be? Ten, one hundred, ten thousand, what?

As I said in another thread, perform a poll etc. to find out.

10 minutes ago, R C-R said:

Besides, what qualifies as an "urgent need"? If the need for these buttons really is urgent, then why don't apps like PS have them?

Probably people with disabilities, or users which use the Affinity apps on Win 2-in-1 like computer-tablets (like MS Surface), or Wacom interactive pen-display devices etc. - PS don't know if they nowadays offer that, or if it is customizable there in some way, you have to ask Adobe adepts instead.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan

24 minutes ago, v_kyr said:

As I said in another thread, perform a poll etc. to find out.

And as I said in the other thread, unless the poll includes bunches & bunches of choices it isn't going to mean much. You also have to somehow convince large numbers of users to take part in the poll to get a large enough sample to draw any valid conclusions from.

Affinity Photo 

7 hours ago, thomaso said:

btw: what makes this thread a discussion about Windows, excluding macOS?

This does not apply to the whole thread, but to the specific post you respond to. Try to read it, and maybe you will understand.

Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

1 minute ago, R C-R said:

You also have to somehow convince large numbers of users to take part in the poll to get a large enough sample to draw any valid conclusions from.

Let Serif do an official poll, I'm sure they will probably get enough responses so they can decide if it makes sense or not to add undo/redo buttons. - Other than that, why are you always such a pessimist and are doing endless discussions about such banal things, just clearly say that you're against it and good is (then vote against it or whatever). - Otherwise you really don't need to care because it's not your decision or mine at all!

1 minute ago, v_kyr said:

Let Serif do an official poll, I'm sure they will probably get enough responses so they can decide if it makes sense or not to add undo/redo buttons.

You're joking, right? They can't even get users to follow the guidelines for posting feature requests in the forum dedicated to that, so why would starting an "official" poll (where?) do any better?

6 minutes ago, v_kyr said:

Other than that, why are you always such a pessimist and are doing endless discussions about such banal things, just clearly say that you're against it and good is (then vote against it or whatever). - Otherwise you really don't need to care because it's not your decision or mine at all!

I am not a pessimist. I just try to be realistic about what is likely to convince Serif to change their priorities for what features to add & when any of them might make it into the apps.

Affinity Photo 

1 hour ago, v_kyr said:

Probably people with disabilities, or users which use the Affinity apps on Win 2-in-1 like computer-tablets (like MS Surface), or Wacom interactive pen-display devices etc.

Interestingly, those who fight this basic functionality most aggressively who do not have this need at all. At the same time, they might not care at all - they just wouldn't use it, or they wouldn't even set it up, so he wouldn't even have to know about it. And yet they have been writing counter-arguments here and again for several years.