You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

What I'm waiting from Affinity

Hi ! I published for many years with InDesing. Now, with Catalina on my Mac, I decided to use Publisher. But I need  to be able to open all my .indd files, plus I need to use the best French corrector : Antidote. In short, I wait from Affinity two things :

1) to built Publisher with a .indd open filter,

2) to be able to use Antidote.

In my opinion, before this tools are usable, it is hard to do professional work with Publisher.

3 hours ago, Claude Belcourt said:

... But I need  to be able to open all my .indd files ...

1) to built Publisher with a .indd open filter, ...

Serif has the beginnings of an IDML import working in the current 1.8x beta version.

However, I doubt direct opening of the ID file format will becoming anytime soon--if ever. So convert your needed ID files to idml.

All apps, to succeed, must adapt to macOS updates annually.  I don’t have a clue how much time Apple provides companies to update their apps, prior to Apple’s release date.  If this continues, Affinity Mac users have a choice of not updating OS, delaying new purchases or apps that work “some time.”  By the time 1.8 is released, a new macOS will be blasting YouTube with release features.  New iPad Pro, Mac Pro, and iMac? Any surprises Apple?

Cecil 

iMac Retina 5K, 27”, 2019. 3.6 GHz Intel Core 9, 40 GB Memory DDR4, Radeon Pro 580X 8 GB, macOS,iPad Pro iPadOS

Continuous improvement is better than delayed perfection 

8 hours ago, Claude Belcourt said:

Yes, I know, but too late with Catalina installed..

OS upgrades should be planned carefully to avoid this kind of dead ends...

You can probably go back to Mojave if you have suitable TimeMachine version available (you though have to save files added after backup somewhere...planning, planning..)

Or you can download 7 day trial of the new InDesign and save all INDD files to IDML. There is a batch script available somewhere in this forum if you have a lot of files (you can probably do a search of all INDD and drop those to the batch).

And Markzware....

Yes, everything you say is true, but if Affinity Publisher want to pretend to be a real pro tool, it must "run" behind Apple, be able to let easily open .indd files and give open solutions to dictionnary and grammatical tools like Antidote in french and others in any languages (in addition, of course, the other practical solutions proposed on the forum).

2 hours ago, Claude Belcourt said:

... if Affinity Publisher want to pretend to be a real pro tool, it must "run" behind Apple, be able to let easily open .indd files ...

Opening .indd files directly is difficult. Adobe can, and has, changed the file spec even between dot releases. Adobe always changes it between major releases. The only changes to the .idml format is additions for new ID features, which are easy to disregard/change if the receiving application doesn't have that new ID capability.

If opening ID files is so important to you, then I suggest using Viva Designer (commercial version). VD has long had the idml capability--both in and out. Version 10, which was released a few months ago, added direct .indd support. It is a very immature option needing a lot of work. I personally think it was a fool's errand, but they may prove me wrong.