You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Sending to edit from Apple Photos.app fails

sig_eigei

Hello,

I have tried numerous times to open a photo in Apple Photos, and then send it to Affinity Photo for editing.  I can send it via contextual menu or by opening Edit in Photos and then using the " ... " for extension activation.  After editing in Affinity Photo I close the editing photo and attempt to Save Changes in the Apple Photos edit extension window.  The edits do not save and I get an error message.  I remember this use to work.  Am I doing something wrong now?

I am attaching a low bit-rate video (lens correction, straightening, and cropping) showing the process and result.  Hope to hear back with a fix.

• Staff

Hi sig_eigei,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
This is a known issue that's being looked at for Affinity Photo 1.8 Customer Beta (available here). Note however that although better, the v1.8 Beta still have a few issues in this area, so maybe it's advisable to wait a few more builds before trying it unless you feel comfortable doing so.

• 11 months later...
On 1/13/2020 at 7:23 AM, MEB said:

Hi sig_eigei,
This is a known issue that's being looked at for Affinity Photo 1.8 Customer Beta (available here). Note however that although better, the v1.8 Beta still have a few issues in this area, so maybe it's advisable to wait a few more builds before trying it unless you feel comfortable doing so.

I have run into this issue as well and my workaround is, as a final step in Affinity, to select all layers and do a 'Merge Visible' before doing the Save. Once I have done that I get a message at the bottom of the intermediate window that says "Editing Complete (16MB change limit exceeded - document will be flattened) - press Save to keep these changes". When I then press Save, the image saves back into Photos without any error. Based on that, it seems to me that if the "Save" in Affinity was automatically a "Save as Flatten" rather than only a flatten depending on file size, then the error message problem would disappear. Of course, the various layers, etc. disappear as well.

Hello,

yesterday i bought and installed Affinity Photo 1.8.6 on my Macbook Pro and have the same Problem as above mentioned. I can open a Photo from the Apple-Foto-app via contextual menu. But after editing and closing the foto in Affinity it is not possible to save the changes in the Apple-Photo-App.  I get the known error - (in German) - „bearbeitung mit ‚Edit in Affinity photo’ ist fehlgeschlagen. 

On the Mac i have  macOS Big Sur, 11.1. As the conversation above is from January, was this Bug fixed and this a new old one in the new macOS Version? Or must i change  any preferences?
i hope you have any solution for me for this problem.

Thanks 

• 8 months later...
  • 10 months later...
  • Staff

Hi @florianleo,
I'm really sorry for the trouble this issue is causing you. Unfortunately this issue never passed QA testing and still remains open. Changes made to macOS since then haven't helped either bringing a few more issues. I've bumped the respective log/report in the hope this is looked again for macOS Ventura. Meanwhile (and realizing this is far from a proper solution) you may eventually try to export the files from Apple Photos (menu File > Export > Export Unmodified Original for "X" Photos command) and open then individually in Affinity Photo for editing. Thank you for your feedback/raising the issue again. 

• 2 months later...
On 8/11/2022 at 4:45 AM, MEB said:

Hi @florianleo,
I'm really sorry for the trouble this issue is causing you. Unfortunately this issue never passed QA testing and still remains open. Changes made to macOS since then haven't helped either bringing a few more issues. I've bumped the respective log/report in the hope this is looked again for macOS Ventura. Meanwhile (and realizing this is far from a proper solution) you may eventually try to export the files from Apple Photos (menu File > Export > Export Unmodified Original for "X" Photos command) and open then individually in Affinity Photo for editing. Thank you for your feedback/raising the issue again. 

These feature has never really worked. Is anyone at Affinity actually working on this? It would be very helpful to be able to use Affinity Photos to edit my photos but this bug just causes it to fail. I guess I will have to try doing it in Pixelmator though I prefer the Affinity product.

Or is this a bug in Photos that external editors don't work reliably?