You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Pen tool snapping and alignment

I'm trying to draw a symmetrical object using the pen tool but the points do not snap or align to other relative points in the shape such as equi-distance, horizontal or vertical alignment with other points in the shape so if I draw one half of the shape none of the successive points snap or align to any other previous points. So even drawing a square is tricky which should be straight forward yes?

Am I missing some obscure checkbox somewhere?

Many thanks.

• Staff

Hi Mirrodin,

Welcome to the forums :)

There are many Snapping options in Affinity that should allow you to achieve this, could you please provide a screenshot of your current snapping settings?

You can find out more about these options here - https://affinity.serif.com/tutorials/designer/desktop/video/301797237

I hope this helps!

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

Hi,

But that video is all about snapping objects and I'm using the PEN TOOL. As I draw INDIVIDUAL lines...so if I draw a square for example, 1st line point a to b...then right angle...but I don't know when 90 deg is reached...then point b to c...i don't know when both lines are equal...then point c to d same problems again the d back to a and hopefully I have square that's not skewed.

So to be clear this is NOT about snapping pre-made shapes this is about alignment and snapping when using the pen tool to draw symmetrical shapes. And I'm using Photo not Designer.

Thank you. I have nearly all the snapping boxes checked. The only ones that are not checked are "Move by whole pixels", "Include margin mid points", "Include bounding box mid points" and "Snap to object geometry".

Thanks.

Show the grid and show the grid manager. There are constraints in the Advanced tab which can be set for snapping in up to six divisions. Hold the shift key while using the pen tool with the snapping on for the grid.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Old Bruce...that's quite useful I see it's made a difference but the snapping is still not very precise, e.g. I just drew an elongated pentagon but Affinity wouldn't indicate relative dimensions and spacing such as when a line's endpoint is equidistant so I know it's length is proportional...using Affinity's snapping guides I have to visually check the pixels which is really tedious. Sometimes angle indicators appear but nothing strongly indicates symmetry. I think Photo and if it's missing in Designer could well do with some symmetry options. These are standard in other free, less comprehensive software. I feel it's quite a strong point that's lacking from a relatively very expensive piece of software.

• Staff
19 hours ago, Mirrodin said:

so if I draw a square for example, 1st line point a to b...then right angle...but I don't know when 90 deg is reached

You can use the SHIFT key as a modifier to constrain the angle of your next line, so that the angle is always 90deg as shown below - 

cc1dedc7a5d4077c0ce75868bcdd23c9.gif

If you're looking to always draw a perfect square then I recommend using the grid & snapping options as Old Bruce has suggested :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

@Mirrodin:

Also note that the Pen Tool has its own set of snapping options independent of the global ones. From the Pen Tool help topic:

244044064_pentoolsnaooptions.jpg.d612f9cf8c5ed7db0e898b1dee37ecec.jpg

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

R C-R:

Oh dear. I'm a silly billy.

I didn't notice those snapping options as they were off screen as my tablet can't display the whole toolbar and if I increase the res any more I won't be able to see even with my glasses on!!  I wish I could put some of those icons on the empty space above. I keep forgetting they're there.

That's perfect. I've adjusted some of the values and now I can see the angles and symmetry points very clearly!!! Phew...I was beginning to feel quite disappointed there!!! I thought how could this have won so many awards and it can't even do symmetry...!

Thank you everyone!!! Problem solved.