You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I am working in Affinity Photo.

This quickpage is the beginning of a layout that I want to put photos into. (quick page.png)

I created a mask for each opening (using flood selection tool) and then placed it under each of the photos. (layers.png)

However, the mask is actually too small, so the backround shows at the edges of the photos. (detail.png)

I know I can start over and grow the selections before I turn them into masks. However, I would rather just resize the masks as that would be less time consuming.

Can a mask be resized?

Is there a better/different way to accomplish this task?

Many thanks.

quick page.png

Layers.png

detail.png

Looks like you were going to add a mask of the initial photo placeholder size (?).

Here then just selecting the corresponding photo layer and the from the layers panel adding a mask layer for that below it ...

• NOTE: if tha mask is instead placed above the photo drag the mask below right of the photo, or activate the Assistence manager and setup/change the way masks are placed as default

... should add automatically a right sized mask of the related photo size.

However, I would instead make the whole template things easier without masks, just make or place filled rectangles (use the fill color you like and name their layers as "Clip photo 1 here below" or something meaningful) there instead as placeholders. Then clip the photos below these placeholders, this way the photos fill the reczangle area and can be still adjusted in size.

quick_image.jpg.06101897863b0bdb17ab716cfe67d7f8.jpg

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

Thank you.

I placed photos in each opening, but they were all larger than the openings and I only wanted a portion of each photo to show so I used the masks to crop them so they didn't show through anything besides their assigned locations. I want to use the flood selection because it is faster and more accurate than me drawing a shape! :) Many times the shapes are irregular.

One way to edit/resize a mask

Right-click the mask in the layers panel and select Edit
Flood select the white part of the mask
Use Select > Grow/Shrink to increase the selection by a pixel or 2, 3, 4, etc
Using a white brush, brush over the selection to include the newly selected areas (or Edit > Fill in white)

Click any other layer to exit editing the mask

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

Right click on the mask thumbnail image not the associated layer selection, pixel or image layer.

edit_mask.jpg.b0e1aa4a2dcd67ef21ce988373a85c1c.jpg

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan

You right clicked on the little rect mask thumb image on the mask layer and nothing? - Strange!

I get the menu I posted above. There is no edit option. And I tried other things, fills, etc and nothing happened. I clicked on all three sections of the layer indicator, left of thumbnail, on thumbnail, right side of thumbnail. This is Affinity Photo, not Designer, if that matters.

If you want, you can upload that APhoto template file here, then we can take a look inside to see what might be the cause for that behavior. - BTW, I too used and showed you always Affinity Photo related things here (screenshots), as did carl123 too. Those things mentioned so far are equally on both apps.

Ah Ok so you already fixed it, fine. - Related to the mask type and other right click menu shown for you, after looking into your file I realized you used luminosity masks, which seem to behave different for the right click menu then. Those offer other options then instead from the usual pixel and vector masks (see here about masks).

Thanks. I just clicked on the Mask button to make the mask from the flood selection. 

Still would like to just resize the mask instead of remaking it. And I use these kinds of templates alot, so the more efficient the better and most of them are not regular shapes to be traced etc. So suggestions on how to do it better are welcome.

Ok I show you what I meant above with rects and just clipping the images below the rectangles then. It's pretty easy to customize for image sizes, or what part region of an image (image cutout) to show, since you can move or resize just the images to your needs then. Also the rectangle placeholders are easy to resize too in the same manner here.

The Affinity Photo race template file:

How it looks in APh then, here the rectangle placeholders, the below clipped images hidden ...

race1.thumb.jpg.1a197b77426e7f07006b341b3df73575.jpg

... and with clipped images visable then, which cover/fill the rectangle areas ...

race2.thumb.jpg.6aa46c96fee8999427bd1810b225ad0b.jpg

See also:

3 hours ago, TanyaMc said:

Thanks. I just clicked on the Mask button to make the mask from the flood selection. 

Your Masks are in the wrong position relative to the layer they are masking

This can occur if you click the Mask Button and created a parent mask which you then dragged to make it a child layer but you inadvertently dragged it to the "clipped" position rather than the "masked" position.

It still functions as a mask but you do not get the usual mask options when you right-click it.

If the above sounds like how you did it you just need to identify how to drag the mask so it is in the correct position after dragging.  If you did not do the above then we may need a small video of you creating a mask to see exactly how you are getting them in the wrong positions.

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

7 hours ago, carl123 said:

Your Masks are in the wrong position relative to the layer they are masking

This can occur if you click the Mask Button and created a parent mask which you then dragged to make it a child layer but you inadvertently dragged it to the "clipped" position rather than the "masked" position.

It still functions as a mask but you do not get the usual mask options when you right-click it.

I believe that may be the issue. I was trying to follow this video when I did it: https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf=ACYBGNSFQHEQucSuIqOGSd43Ac7CVGA4zA%3A1578717063727&ei=h08ZXuHwK5m6tQaGuqpI&q=affinity+photo+mask+from+selection&oq=affinity+photo+mask+from&gs_l=psy-ab.1.0.0j0i22i30l5j0i333.10528.17638..19585...5.1..0.131.1907.25j2....2..0....1..gws-wiz.....10..0i71j35i39j0i273j0i131i273j0i131j35i362i39j0i20i263.pj-dnKckiRQ#kpvalbx=_7nUcXqjmBpm4tAbi64rABw16 

I was flood selecting the background, and using the mask button. But I don't get the same results (now that I watch it more closely.) Where can I find info on the clipped vs masked position? I've read the articles about them and the help before/during this project, but apparently I am missing some detail about how to move them.

I used the background selected to get the right flood fill shapes.See screenshot below. I then clicked on the thumbnail of the mask to drag it below my photo. That is when it changed to where i cannot select the mask layer thumbnail anymore.

Thanks

mask.png

1 hour ago, TanyaMc said:

I then clicked on the thumbnail of the mask to drag it below my photo. That is when it changed to where i cannot select the mask layer thumbnail anymore.

Then you clipped the mask, instead of dragging it beneath the image thumbnail layer. The indentation to the photo layer would be different here then, also that right click menu we talked before about would be different if you then click inside on the masks thumb nail of the little trans rect with the circle.

With the mask layer selected and the selection active use Edit > Fill and fill with white