You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Fuji S5Pro RAF converted to DNG issue

varied

Hi,

Was not able to find the same issue, only somewhat related with raw photos being opened with purple tint.

Basically the issue is written in the title. To elaborate - when Fuji S5pro raw file (RAF) is converted to DNG using Adobe DNG converter and then opened in Affinity Photo, one can see that colors are way off.
Below one can see a screenshot of freely available RAF file from here Fuji raw files and a converted to DNG one:

image.thumb.png.d52aae105ec8a52827de8c1504aa0ce0.png

image.thumb.png.2b61f511184b8330557eaa025295c238.png

One can also see that DNG has one pixel less horizontally.

Tried opening DNG in open source RawTherapee and it opens the same as RAF. Meaning that there is definitely some issue with Affinity Photo here.

It is the same in Affinity Photo 1.8 beta.

Hoping that will be fixed.

Thanks in advance!

@varied

Welcome to the Affinity forums.

I don't have any Fuji camera but followed your link to download the sample .RAF for your camera.  I opened it directly in Affinity Photo 1.7.3.481, the latest release.  The two screenshots below show how it opened and how it appeared after pressing Develop.

So, AP can open this file natively, and without problem it seems.  Why do you need that intermediate step of converting to DNG?

Jeff

ScreenShot00624.jpg

ScreenShot00625.jpg

Win 10 Pro, i7 6700K, 32Gb RAM, NVidia GTX1660 Ti and Intel HD530 Graphics

Long-time user of Serif products, chiefly PagePlus and PhotoPlus, but also WebPlus, CraftArtistProfessional and DrawPlus.  Delighted to be using Affinity Designer, Photo, and now Publisher, version 1 and now version 2.

iPad Pro (12.9") (iOS 17.4) running Affinity Photo and Designer version 1 and all three version 2 apps.

That is weird. I tried multiple combinations of different DNG versions and still ended up with the same issues. Is it possible that You can share Your converted DNG file somehow with me to check it?

On to the question why do I need that intermediate step - storage. I have quite large number of photos and the space saving is quite big. Like more than two times in total. And I do not have original anymore.

I see that You are just a member and not an Affinity representative. Thanks for taking Your time!

Edited by varied
Grammar

Oh, I've misread what You wrote. You didn't convert the RAF file to DNG. Probably, my top post wasn't clear. I just thought that from screenshots is was clear that I can open RAF files just fine, but not the DNG. But thanks anyway!

Edited by varied
typo

• Staff

Hey varied,

What are you using to convert the RAF to DNG?

We have a logged issue against macOS that uses Apple (Core Image RAW) with a similar pink overlay but it was closed by design as the fault seems to sit with Apple. However, on Windows, we use our own Serif Labs so I'm surprised this is happening.

Can you attach the DNG?

• 2 weeks later...

Something is a little off with that .dng. I tried it a few ways

-Darktable would not read it, messsage attached below, something bad in the white balance it thinks...

-RawTherapee did open it, no apparent issues.

-Afinity came out pink like you said. (white balance?)

-Adobe Bridge was able to pdf and jpeg the dng.

Some programs can deal with it, some can't it seems.

687921246_Annotation2020-01-26213539.thumb.png.17b50ec3282dccca75cfc3addf555c41.png

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/16/2020 at 9:50 AM, Chris B said:

Hey varied,

What are you using to convert the RAF to DNG?

We have a logged issue against macOS that uses Apple (Core Image RAW) with a similar pink overlay but it was closed by design as the fault seems to sit with Apple. However, on Windows, we use our own Serif Labs so I'm surprised this is happening.

Can you attach the DNG?

Hi,

Not sure if "upping" a thread is OK here, but are there any news?

Thanks in advance!

• Staff

Hey varied,

I also had similar trouble with the DNG that bt1138 spoke about. Something odd is happening during the conversion. 

This issue is different to the one I initially though it was. Have you tried any other DNG converters? I know the Adobe one should be good enough but there's just something odd about what it's doing...

"I have quite large number of photos and the space saving is quite big. Like more than two times in total. And I do not have original anymore. "

-----------

I for some years did something like this with my Nikon raw files, my version of photoshop wouldn't convert the raw since it was an older version. So I would DNG them and then open them in photoshop. Seemed to work fine.

But since then, I have discovered that the Nikon software is superior at converting those Nikon raw files and that's what I use now for raw conversion. Unfortunately, from that time when I was using the dng files, I deleted the native raw files, thinking that the dng had all the information as the raw file did. But they don't and I wish I had kept the native raw files 😕.

Moral of the story: Always keep the raw original file

-->Disk space is cheaper than ever...

On 2/5/2020 at 10:44 AM, Chris B said:

Hey varied,

I also had similar trouble with the DNG that bt1138 spoke about. Something odd is happening during the conversion. 

This issue is different to the one I initially though it was. Have you tried any other DNG converters? I know the Adobe one should be good enough but there's just something odd about what it's doing...

Hi,

I'm not aware of any other DNG converters. Tried to google some without success. Can You suggest any?

Thanks in advance!

16 hours ago, bt1138 said:

"I have quite large number of photos and the space saving is quite big. Like more than two times in total. And I do not have original anymore. "

-----------

I for some years did something like this with my Nikon raw files, my version of photoshop wouldn't convert the raw since it was an older version. So I would DNG them and then open them in photoshop. Seemed to work fine.

But since then, I have discovered that the Nikon software is superior at converting those Nikon raw files and that's what I use now for raw conversion. Unfortunately, from that time when I was using the dng files, I deleted the native raw files, thinking that the dng had all the information as the raw file did. But they don't and I wish I had kept the native raw files 😕.

Moral of the story: Always keep the raw original file

-->Disk space is cheaper than ever...

Hi,

Well, I've been keeping raw files for some time now, not because of this issue, but because of my camera change where converting saves almost nothing.

But yeah, better safe than sorry.

Thanks for response!