You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Expand stroke weird results

There is something weird going on in one of my files created in 1.7.3, then edited with 1.8 beta. See the screenshot below, I have three shapes, stroke with no fill.

340846176_ScreenShot2020-01-11at10_33_37.thumb.png.20bb67e045aeb82b2ffb9458a3745bd9.png

When I apply the Expand stroke command on each shape, the two straight lines just disappear, while the shape on the right looks like this:

37079650_ScreenShot2020-01-11at10_33_56.thumb.png.bb718e6940f1e0b621393cd276bb256f.png

I attached the afdesign file in case anyone wants to look at it.

test beta.afdesign

This appears to be the result of having the combination of open curve with align stroke set to something other than centre. A closed shape will expand 'correctly' regardless of the setting for align.

4 hours ago, tudor said:

There is something weird going on in one of my files created in 1.7.3, then edited with 1.8 beta. See the screenshot below, I have three shapes, stroke with no fill.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

3 hours ago, Old Bruce said:

This appears to be the result of having the combination of open curve with align stroke set to something other than centre.

You are right, I took a look at the Stroke studio and the strokes were aligned inside, even though on screen they looked like they were center aligned. The question is, why does the application let me set the stroke alignment on an open shape? An open shape does not have an inside or an outside, so those stroke alignment options don't make sense (and the program does ignore them when drawing the curves on screen). This causes only troubles as we can see here.

14 minutes ago, Gear maker said:

.  A bug report should be filed.

Unless the same error happens in 1.7, it's most appropriate to have it posted here in the beta forum. The bug report forums are only for the retail releases.

Even if it does happen in 1.7, too, because Expand Stroke has been reworked in the beta it may be best reported here.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• Staff
13 hours ago, Gear maker said:

It is designed to automatically ignore the inside or outside for an open shape.  But there is a bug in the new Expand Stroke, that doesn't ignore it.  A bug report should be filed.

Exactly this - I've obviously missed an 'if' for this case - it'll be very easy to fix, but I messed up. Thanks for spotting it! :)

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.