You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

4 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

If I remember correctly (I'm not an iPad user), you need a .afmacros file to import it in the iPad version of Photo. You might import the .afmacro file into your desktop version of Photo, add it to your macro library, then export from the library as a .afmacros file. You should then be able to import it to the iPad.

Well I tried to export the ND Macro from the Library by right clicking, Edit command.  I cannot get Export Command, only Import or Create New Category.  From the Macro Panel, it allows export afmacro (will not allow changing extension), not afmacros.  I know it must be something simple I'm missing, but cannot locate the simple command action. Thanks.

Cecil 

iMac Retina 5K, 27”, 2019. 3.6 GHz Intel Core 9, 40 GB Memory DDR4, Radeon Pro 580X 8 GB, macOS,iPad Pro iPadOS

Continuous improvement is better than delayed perfection 

5 minutes ago, Cecil said:

Well I tried to export the ND Macro from the Library by right clicking, Edit command.  I cannot get Export Command, only Import or Create New Category.  From the Macro Panel, it allows export afmacro (will not allow changing extension), not afmacros.  I know it must be something simple I'm missing, but cannot locate the simple command action. Thanks.

In the Library studio panel, click on the Hamburger menu for the category that contains the macro you want, and choose Export Macros:

image.png.c7235ff5279d0ea144b3e9f1a940e57d.png

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

2 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

In the Library studio panel, click on the Hamburger menu for the category that contains the macro you want, and choose Export Macros:

image.png.c7235ff5279d0ea144b3e9f1a940e57d.png

Worked this time, Exported all Macros in category, not just the one macro I wanted. Thank you. 

Cecil 

iMac Retina 5K, 27”, 2019. 3.6 GHz Intel Core 9, 40 GB Memory DDR4, Radeon Pro 580X 8 GB, macOS,iPad Pro iPadOS

Continuous improvement is better than delayed perfection 

You're welcome. And yes, if you want just one macro you'll need to move it to its own category.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

• 1 year later...
On 1/11/2020 at 6:26 PM, smadell said:

For completeness sake, I'll attach a macro I've used on occasion to do this. Like the macro above, it creates two Curves adjustment layers, one for dodging and one for burning. Three differences here: (i) I have not attached separate Mask layers, since this is redundant – the Curves adjustment layers already have a built in mask, and I don't see where anything is gained by duplicating this; (ii) I have set the Blend Mode of each of the Curves layers to Luminosity – this keeps them from affecting saturation and hue, and limits them to changing the lightness or darkness of the areas being affected; and (iii) I have changed the Blend Options on each of the layers, so that (at least in theory) the Burn adjustment layer should preferentially affect the darker areas, and the Dodge adjustment layer should preferentially affect the lighter areas – this is the technique one might use for dodging and burning portraits, for instance.

One other thing: when using any form of dodge and burn, I typically use a brush that (i) has a soft edge, so 0% hardness; and (ii) has 100% opacity but only about 1-2% Flow. This way, I know I can eventually build up to a 100% effect, but I only do so very slowly because of the low flow rate.

NB - this is an .afmacro file, so import it through the Macro panel, NOT through the Library panel.

Dodge & Burn with Curves.afmacro

Hi! Please help me, I'm trying to import this file into Affinity Photo newest Windows10 version 1.10 and I get an error message that says:

The file version is not supported by this version of Affinity.

I have read several threads here and I am trying to import the proper way (I know the difference between .afmacro and .afmacros ) I've also tried to rename the macros.propcol file but doesn't help.

Could you please check it if it works (imports) for you?

affinity_problem.jpg

Edited by Arti1

🤣 don't do it (OP) like that anymore . Have gone back to the original soft light blending layer but without 50% grey fill --- how did it take so long for everyone to find that out .
I find it easier just to hit "x" to change black to white brush and "1 to 0" to change opacity although 10% is mostly used .
To cut the vibrance in the darkened area I use vibrance/saturation inverted adjustment layer >paint with white to suit.
Can also be used to add subtle colours .
Another "dodge-burn" I use is a contrast/brightness or curves or levels adjustment layer >darken/lighten to suit >paint out (or in) the effect to suit . 
I still consider dodge and burn to be one editing tool all should perfect 

I have come to the collusion that many of the "new" ways to do an edit is often more about a youtuber trying to get more attention/likes/followers/$$ than sharing their "new way'' to get a similar result  . 
 Having said; some can often explain the old way better or simpler  . 

On 1/3/2022 at 6:06 AM, Arti1 said:

Hi! Please help me, I'm trying to import this file into Affinity Photo newest Windows10 version 1.10 and I get an error message that says:

I have read several threads here and I am trying to import the proper way (I know the difference between .afmacro and .afmacros ) I've also tried to rename the macros.propcol file but doesn't help.

affinity_problem.jpg

If you cannot get the macro to work I would suggest you make a macro of the old fashion way .
Happy to explain if need be .

1 hour ago, ianrb said:

If you cannot get the macro to work I would suggest you make a macro of the old fashion way .
Happy to explain if need be .

That would be nice, please explain it to me!

I'm sure I can do it and I'm happy to try it but I need someone to explain.

Thanks in advance :)

To make a dodge and burn macro
New layer >add soft light blending layer >name dodge and burn >done . Optional >fill layer with 50% grey  . 

Option second macro
Add vibrance/saturation adjustment layer >set both sliders at 25% >invent the adjustment layer (Ctrl +I) >done . Optional >use HSL adjustment layer >set saturation to minis 25% or less (don't forget to invert) . .. To use >set white soft low opacity brush >paint where the saturation is too strong . You may need to adjust the the de-saturation setting to suit the image . 
When you have both macros working as you require you can make a third macro used the two macros above .

To add colour to an image >simple paint the dodge + burn layer with a suitable colour > Tip: to help keep things tidy you might consider added a colour dodge and burn macro to the Dodge and Burn/de-saturation  macro .
I find it easier to make several smaller macros to combine into a large macro. Making macro can be a bit harder job than should be  :( .

Go one step further with a "start" macro like this >Duplicate photo layer >turn off the top one >unlock other.
Options > add the dodge and burn macros ... Add 50% grey fill layer >move to bottom (Ctrl + [ ) >add contrast/brighten and white balance adjustment layer >set C+B to 100% contrast and brightness to around 30% (not important) . Now you have background layer from near black to near white and any colour you wish >you could also add colour balance a-layer .
True; not something you might use a lot, but I do so all done with one click and can be removed with one click ;) 
My main start up macro also includes adjustment layers (as child) I use the most . Again; likely best to make an "add child adjustment layers" then add that the start macro .

So now you open the photo in affinity and click once . Now everything is ready to go with no thought or remembering to do this or that ; AND , there also an original file at the top to compare the editing progress  ;) . Not many do/teach that!

Believe me; once macros are understood it's far easier to do than it reads the above . 
I have no acquired macros that I use ;)

start macro. jpg.jpg

12 hours ago, ianrb said:

To make a dodge and burn macro
New layer >add soft light blending layer >name dodge and burn >done . Optional >fill layer with 50% grey  . 

Option second macro
Add vibrance/saturation adjustment layer >set both sliders at 25% >invent the adjustment layer (Ctrl +I) >done . Optional >use HSL adjustment layer >set saturation to minis 25% or less (don't forget to invert) . .. To use >set white soft low opacity brush >paint where the saturation is too strong . You may need to adjust the the de-saturation setting to suit the image . 
When you have both macros working as you require you can make a third macro used the two macros above .

To add colour to an image >simple paint the dodge + burn layer with a suitable colour > Tip: to help keep things tidy you might consider added a colour dodge and burn macro to the Dodge and Burn/de-saturation  macro .
I find it easier to make several smaller macros to combine into a large macro. Making macro can be a bit harder job than should be  :( .

Go one step further with a "start" macro like this >Duplicate photo layer >turn off the top one >unlock other.
Options > add the dodge and burn macros ... Add 50% grey fill layer >move to bottom (Ctrl + [ ) >add contrast/brighten and white balance adjustment layer >set C+B to 100% contrast and brightness to around 30% (not important) . Now you have background layer from near black to near white and any colour you wish >you could also add colour balance a-layer .
True; not something you might use a lot, but I do so all done with one click and can be removed with one click ;) 
My main start up macro also includes adjustment layers (as child) I use the most . Again; likely best to make an "add child adjustment layers" then add that the start macro .

So now you open the photo in affinity and click once . Now everything is ready to go with no thought or remembering to do this or that ; AND , there also an original file at the top to compare the editing progress  ;) . Not many do/teach that!

Believe me; once macros are understood it's far easier to do than it reads the above . 
I have no acquired macros that I use ;)

start macro. jpg.jpg

Wow :) thanks for the detailed instructions, I'll try it :) 

On 1/4/2022 at 10:45 PM, ianrb said:

You're welcome :) , let me know how it goes and ask if you get bogged 

Just a quick feedback :)

I managed to recreate the layer structure (it was really hard but it's done now).

Tomorrow I will try to do this again, and record it as a macro :) 

But now I understand what the macro will do and why, so it worths the time working on it

Thank you, and I'm sure I'll have some questions after it's done

On 1/2/2022 at 2:06 PM, Arti1 said:

affinity_problem.jpg

The file in your post imports just fine in 1.10.4 for me, using the Import icon in the Macro panel.

From that error message, I would check the level of Affinity Photo that you're using, and also I might try downloading the file again, in case your download didn't work correctly.

-- Walt
PC: