You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Crop in original shape

I'm not certain what you're asking, Danel.

Are you asking why the default for the Crop Tool is "Unconstrained" rather than "Original Ratio"? If so, that's just the way they've implemented it, and there's no setting to modify that. It's probably been requested before in the Feedback forum.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Good morning, sir,
Yes, that's exactly it.
Of course, I couldn't find any settings to change it and that's why I was asking...
When you work in a photographic format and you want to crop a scene, in most cases you want to keep the original format.
In my opinion and experience, it's very rare that people change format or adopt an unconventional format...

At least it would have been convenient to keep the original format or to be able to set any default format.

I come up against this problem every day and I find it more and more painful.

Are there any reasons (that I don't know yet), to keep this kind de parameter ?
TKS

• Staff

If the default was 'Original Ratio' when you click+drag, you cannot simply crop to your own preference as it is constrained to its original ratio. Some people may want that and others may want to stick to its original ratio. It's just a case of trying to please everyone which just isn't possible. I see both sides though. 

Personally I quite often want to change the format when I crop a picture. But I would have thought that the best compromise would be for the setting to stay on the last one used, rather than resetting to the default every time you use it.

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

• Staff
12 minutes ago, PaulEC said:

Personally I quite often want to change the format when I crop a picture. But I would have thought that the best compromise would be for the setting to stay on the last one used, rather than resetting to the default every time you use it.

This is what dev has just said—would this be everyone's preferred method? If so, I can log it as a formal improvement. 

Edit - I've just logged this. It seems this would be the preferred method internally so I hope this satisfies everyone else :) 

I have recently purchased Affinity Photo and also find this behaviour tedious as most of my photo crops will be to the "original ratio". I would happily compromise though  if the crop tool stayed on the last format used as this would suit my requirements and any one using a different format on a batch of photos.

On 1/11/2020 at 11:06 AM, Danel said:

When you work in a photographic format and you want to crop a scene, in most cases you want to keep the original format.
In my opinion and experience, it's very rare that people change format or adopt an unconventional format...

Imagine that LOT of people is using Affinity for many more things then working on photos... Just like Photoshop. For example I am using Photo to work on post-pro for 3D renders and also making lot for packaging for printing. Just because there is "Photo" in the name it doesn't mean that its use is limited to working on photos (sorry for being Captain Obvious here...).

Just to put it out there, so you see that pleasing people like you would be displeasing people like me :D (not easy to please everybody). It would be massive pain in the butt for me if default would become "original ratio", as I am NEVER using it. We all have different needs.

Solution would be fairly easy conceptually - no idea how hard it would be to implement. There could be setting that we could save our own, preferred, default behavior. That would make everybody happy.

43 minutes ago, nezumi said:

There could be setting that we could save our own, preferred, default behavior.

Remembering the last-used setting would come close to achieving this.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

On 1/21/2020 at 2:45 PM, Alfred said:

Remembering the last-used setting would come close to achieving this.

It could be also way of doing it IF you are never changing your workflow. If you are bit more adventurous with things you try... I would still go for saving default in settings :) However I wouldn't mind saving last used all that much either.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.