You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Default Labeling of Added Pantone Spots

Why is it that when one applies and adds a Pantone spot color to an object in one's document, that the swatch for the Pantone spot color in the Swatches panel is labeled generically "Global Color X" by default, rather than being labeled by the actual corresponding Pantone spot color number? (See attached screen grab.)

If we're wanting to manage inks, including spot inks, within our documents, swatch collections, and files sent to offset print services, shouldn't the Affinity software correctly label color Pantone color swatches by default as they are added to the document Swatches panel?

Screen Shot 2020-01-10 at 12.46.31 PM.png

My take on it is that global swatches should really be named for what they are being used for, not for the color they represent.

Rather than "orange" and "purple" should have names like "sidebar", "chapter title", etc.

Since the program obviously can't guess that for you it is providing a placeholder name until you change it to something meaningful.

5 minutes ago, fde101 said:

My take on it is that global swatches should really be named for what they are being used for, not for the color they represent.

Rather than "orange" and "purple" should have names like "sidebar", "chapter title", etc.

Since the program obviously can't guess that for you it is providing a placeholder name until you change it to something meaningful.

Here's the thing for me, if I select an already named spot color, it should use that name by default. If I so choose to rename it to identify its use, then so be it. But I rarely do. Why? Which name should I use if the same spot is used for headers, sidebar elements, and/or other elements? While that can be resolved, just using the spot name is, and has been, understandable for me.

If you're using a PMS or any other sort of named colour swatch it should use the name it came with. If you want to rename it you should have that ability but I think, for clarity sake, it should default to the name it comes with.

I think one of the limitations is the fact that the Affinity products only seem to allow global spot color entries; creating them as a non-global swatch seems to convert them to process colors.

If non-global swatch entries could be legitimate spot colors then I believe that might solve your "problem" as those do inherit the name of the color when created.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.