GO!

[By Design] Text Height

Hi, if you chose a different unit for the TEXT HEIGHT, the result is wrong. F.e. 10mm (in Arial) will be 9,3mm. Why?

The 10mm is the font's nominal size, which includes 0.7mm of vertical space for accents. For example, if you type À, you'll see it goes outside of the area denoted in the transform panel. The font may also include a small amount of unused vertical space for leading.

The 10mm is the font's nominal size, which includes 0.7mm of vertical space for accents. For example, if you type À, …

Thanks, but your example with the character À results in exactly 9mm, an Üj results in exactly 10.7mm, a single Ü is 8.7mm in height.  :(

Nothing is the inputted 10mm in Arial. Please tell me what is the inputted 10mm?

When will we get exact input/output of cap height and x-heights?

The input 10mm is the overall font height. It's a typographic parameter that doesn't necessarily correspond to the height of any particular character. The shape and size of the characters is decided by the font designer. And as I mentioned, the font can include some internal leading, in which case the union of all the characters in it will be smaller than the nominal font height.

Are you finding that at 12pt A in Designer is a different size to the same character in other apps? Or that it changes size when you change the units from points to mm? In other words, do you think there is a bug, or are you just trying to understand how typography works on modern computers?

The input 10mm is the overall font height.

10mm cannot be the overall font height of Arial when “Üj” results in exactly 10.7mm. 

German users expect the “Versalhöhe” when using mm.

When we create a square with 10mm height, it is not smaller and it would be great if a 10-mm-Arial-H is the same height (not 7.16mm).

Because other softwares or computers do not have a true text height feature does not mean that AD or AP must make the same mistakes, right? Make it like Apple: Make it better than the others, and you will get resounding applause like Apple.

Btw: Most of the users do not know how big 1pt really is.

As I said, 10mm is a typographic parameter, and not the height of any particular character or group of characters. The word "height" here refers to the font as a whole, not any of the characters in it, nor even all of the characters in it.

I don't speak German, but I gather "Versalhöhe" refers to the cap height of the font. The cap height is not the same as the font size. It will generally be a bit smaller as it excludes descenders and accents.

You cannot expect 12pt text to be the same size as a 12pt rectangle, because the height of the text will depend on which characters you typed.

User will expect 12pt text in Affinity to be the same size as 12pt text in other apps. The meaning of "12pt text" should not depend on which app you are using. Similarly, the size of the text should not depend on whether it is expressed in points or in mm or in inches. Most of our users do know how big they expect 12pt text to be.

What we are doing here is typographically correct. Thanks for raising this issue - we have closed it as "by design".