You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Bibi's free textured vector brushes and swatches

Bibi McMurray

Thank you for sharing. Looking good...The cross hatch one is my favourite!:)..Wish I had thought of that....

I have a couple of suggestions which would add a bit of additional functionality to the brushes....
A. If you activate the opacity slider (30-60%)[+Pressure] you can add to the 'variation' on the brush using the context menu and setting the controller to 'pressure'...
B. When you build them test with blend modes and opacity...just to see what results you get

Affinity Version 1 (10.6) Affinity Version 2.4 All (Designer | Photo | Publisher)   Beta; 2.4 1.2344
OS:Windows 10 Pro 22H2 OS Build 19045.4046+ Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.19053.1000.0
Rig:AMD FX 8350 and AMD Radeon (R9 380 Series) Settings Version 21.04.01 
Radeon Settings Version 2020
20.1.03) + Wacom Intuous 4M with driver 6.3.41-1

Thanks for the suggestions Stuart, I will definitely try that. 

I haven't dabbled with the opacity slider yet so that is a great tip.

I haven't thought of using blend modes on brushes. That is very interesting. I will definitely have a bit of fun with that.

Do you have any suggestions for the swatches to improve the way the colours spread on the brushes? I have made so many brushes and swatches and I'm looking for a certain way to make all the objects in the swatches spread across the brushes consistently with size and colour. Also, sometimes the strokes, usually vertical but sometimes horizontal look all stretched. So I have practiced with them and just try to avoid the directions that warp out of whack.

Oh, and thank you for commenting. You are my hero brush maker on Affinity forums. Fan girl hahahhahaaha.

That's a difficult one. The distribution of the pattern on the stroke/fill can be controlled using select: Fill/Stroke then Experimenting with the 'extend' options on the context bar. If you want something more consistent/repetitive... turn on the 'maintain fill aspect ratio'... and adjust the fill nodes...it does not give you complete control but worth looking at to see if the patterning gets closer to what you are looking for..

The stretched appearance is a result of the setting in the brush editing panel
Body: Stretch | Repeat toggles + adjusting the head + tail offsets...
With Stretch selected the area between the 2 red lines (offsets) gets stretched
With Repeat selected the area between the 2 lines (offsets) repeats

Can require a lot of experimentation...I tend let the brushes stretch...but really it's just down to preference....

Affinity Version 1 (10.6) Affinity Version 2.4 All (Designer | Photo | Publisher)   Beta; 2.4 1.2344
OS:Windows 10 Pro 22H2 OS Build 19045.4046+ Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.19053.1000.0

No problem it's good to see someone else developing brushes
I put together some techniques for creating vector brushes in the tutorial section....you may have it..but here is the link anyway: Creating Vector Brushes