You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

A helpful forum member just showed me how to use the Pie Tool to make a half-circle. 

• 1) How com the Snapping green vertical line does not appear when you are trying to divide a picture entirely in half?
  • 2) What does the center "handle" on the Pie Tool do, because (at least on my Windows 7 PC) it does not expand the Pie shape? There is another vertical handle (assuming one is using the dimensions he suggested and I used, Start: 90*, End 270*, Total 180*). This other vertical handle is at the same "height" as the little red handle in the middle of the Pie Tool. It does expand the Shape to a semi-circle, but I'm not sure if it doesn't also distort the image that just needs to be cut in half. (In other words, I'm not sure if this "outer" handle doesn't Transform the underlying image in the way the Transform tool would. The Pie Tool looks an awful lot like the Transform tool. (See attached image.)

Thank you.

Pie Tool Image.png

Even with Snapping set to OFF you should still get the green snap line when you rotate the orange handle to 180 degrees using the Node Tool.
The centre orange handle allows you to drag it to the bottom-left to make a ‘Pie-Donut’.
The orange handles are those that allow you to modify the shape's parameters – angles, distances, etc. – while the blue handles allow you to transform the size/dimension of the shape.
Make sure you see the correct mouse pointer for the behaviour you want (sometimes fiddly when an orange handle is in the same place as a blue handle).
See attached GIF for some examples.
Does this help?

pie-tool.gif

Unfortunately I can’t slow the GIFs down but I have plans to look at using a different video capture workflow.
GIFs are non-controllable (for the most part) and, as such, are only good for short bursts (they have horrible colour issues too).
On the other hand, the Windows 10 Game Bar doesn’t record pop-ups like menus (as far as I can see) so that’s no good for tutorials and the like, it also makes huge files compared to GIFs.
OBS https://obsproject.com/ is probably going to be better but these things take time to learn – I’d like to add captions and keyboard/mouse actions too.

@GarryP  Dearie :),

• 1) Observe American's avatar.
  • 2) Know that, like Mrs. Micawber, I shall never desert Windows 7.
  • 3) You are crazy-helpful on this forum.

I wish Affinity let forum members vote for a "Most Helpful Forum Member of 20__." It would be an incentive and also an acknowledgement. You are right up there fighting for #1!

EDIT: Wow, I checked out that OBS site. Looks like it could even work on my mule-train laptop. Excellent.