You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I think this probably depends on what you mean by “backgrounds”.
If you just want to put images behind things then just use the Place function to add them from wherever you normally store your images.
If you have some other use in mind then could you explain it a bit further please?

Backgrounds is only one example. I also want to include many other Layers for use in different situations. But if AF or AD cant't handle such a big library (slow on opening, crash...) then would be a the PLACE-Function the better way or a Library-Program beside (XN-View, Adobe Bridge,...)

4 minutes ago, Widestone said:

Backgrounds is only one example. I also want to include many other Layers for use in different situations. But if AF or AD cant't handle such a big library (slow on opening, crash...) then would be a the PLACE-Function the better way or a Library-Program beside (XN-View, Adobe Bridge,...)

Lately for one of my assets contributions, when creating those assets, I accidently added ONE very big one consisting of some hundreds of combined and grouped vector curves to an assets subcategory. It took a little time but that huge asset appeared in the subcategory. So good so fine I thought, but when trying to reuse that asset then (aka try dragging it back onto the canvas for use) nothing happened. Somehow AD wasn't able to copy back all that stuff from an assets subcategory onto the workspace canvas, after some minutes waiting I abandoned the whole and deleted that asset from the category. Further when I exported that assets (with the huge one in) the size of the assets file gots pretty huge due to the big vector sizes used for that ONE drawing. 

So all in all from those experiences I made so far, I doubt it's a good idea to make and keep such very huge 1GB assets libs, it will slow down the apps, possibly make the apps then idle or crashing etc. It's further also no good idea to place in very huge size (dimensioned) vector drawings as assets, better scale down vector things to place insite assets categories, since you can scale them up afterwards anyway when using on the drawing canvas. - However, with potential powerful hardware (very fast CPU, RAM without end etc.) things might then look better here.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

10 hours ago, v_kyr said:

It's further also no good idea to place in very huge size (dimensioned) vector drawings as assets, better scale down vector things to place insite assets categories, since you can scale them up afterwards anyway when using on the drawing canvas.

That doesn't really make sense. Vectors are the same, no matter its size. Sure, there might be higher numbers in the data (as in "100px" takes more bits than "10px") but that shouldn't matter that much.

Check out my Youtube Channel about vector art:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHRE-TL1-AeVBMtxRTmRa8Q

Want to see a magic trick for making isometric designs in Designer?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGtK3KG_nRM

My Graphic Tablet

16 minutes ago, Phillipp said:

That doesn't really make sense. Vectors are the same, no matter its size. Sure, there might be higher numbers in the data (as in "100px" takes more bits than "10px") but that shouldn't matter that much.

Internal copy/paste, redraw arranging sizes etc. That all takes memory and CPU power when performed, especially when something (an asset) is composed out of thousend single curves together.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan

1 minute ago, v_kyr said:

Internal copy/paste, redraw arranging sizes etc. That all takes memory and CPU power when performed, especially when something (an asset) is composed out of thousend curves together.

That is a one-time processing and nothing that should degrade performance all the time. 

My Graphic Tablet

3 minutes ago, Phillipp said:

That is a one-time processing and nothing that should degrade performance all the time. 

It degrade things when used, aka during drag'n'drop etc. In my above mentioned case, it stalled the environment completely. - Give it a try and see how it behaves on your system.

7 minutes ago, v_kyr said:

It degrade things when used, aka during drag'n'drop etc. In my above mentioned case, it stalled the environment completely.

But if you place a smaller version and scale it up afterwards, you end up with the same.

My Graphic Tablet

1 hour ago, Phillipp said:

But if you place a smaller version and scale it up afterwards, you end up with the same.

Yes during processing afterwards when resized, redrawn, reapply gardients etc. but you don't have the copy over operation then, which might have been the cause. Further the whole is one process when using assets, shifting objects over redraw the whole stuff. - But I use old hardware that doesn't have that much memory like others might probably have here . So it always also can highly depend on resources.

65 Groups of ~1000 or more objects each ...

tryit.jpg.e3f8e4043bfc3147157667ecb9971dcd.jpg

• Only selecting all 65 groups and trying to ungroup them with one command invocation, stalls AD for me
  • Single ungrouping nearly the half groups and then performing a select all, stalls AD for me
  • Now imagine it's all a grouped together asset you drag over to the canvas, guess what, jip stalls AD for me