You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hello all,

I've just starting using Affinity designer (trail) and like it very much. I have a little problem though and I'm sure

that when someone points out what I'm doing wrong I'll kick myself. I've applied a gradient to an object and now want to return it to a solid fill but I cant find a way of removing the gradient.

If I create another fill and apply it always is set to gradient when I apply it the object. I've tried setting no fill creating a new fill then applying it but always its a gradient fill! I'm sure

the solution is simple and obvious but I'm missing something here.

Thanks in advance, Anthony

• Staff

Hi Ginblue,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
With the object and theGradient Tool still selected go to the context toolbar and change the Type dropdown to Solid (or None if you prefer have none). Alternatively click the colour well in the context toolbar switch to the colour tab and pick a colour or click the no color icon in the top right of that popup (instead of selecting the colour tab) to remove the gradient fill entirely.

Another way: with the object selected switch to another tool (so the object remains selected but the gradient is not active anymore) and click on a color in the Colours panel. The gradient is replaced with the solid colour you clicked on.

Thanks for your reply,

I'm still a bit mystified by this as I've done all of those things and still cannot remove the gradient. As I look at my screen now the fill is set to solid but the object is still a gradient! I've tried solid fill, no fill, new fill, I've deselected the fill tool and clicked a colour in the colour panel with the object selected. The only effect is to change the colour of the gradient. None and Solid remove the fill but as soon as I edit the fill, say to change colour the fill returns. 

I'm familiar with AI, Inkscape etc so understand the concepts but this is driving me crazy and I've spent quite some time trying to figure it out. I've included a screen shot if this might help.

Affinity Gradient.png

• 2 years later...
  • 3 months later...
1 hour ago, Rod Bowkett said:

I have a similar thing with stroke. With stroke set to 0pt I get a 1pt blue stroke on all objects. Not happening on laptop only desktop so assume it's a setting/pref of some kind.

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums.

A screenshot, or even better a sample .afdesign (or .afphoto or .afpub) document illustrating this, would help us understand what you're experiencing.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 1 year later...
4 hours ago, Affinity Rat said:

How to remove gradient in APho

Was that a question?

If so, perhaps you should start a separate topic, and put it in the iPad section of the forum?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1